Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states went out wheeling and went into a mudhole on the trail. It didnt look that deep but ended up being up to the doors. Ended up being pulled out and kept on wheeling. On the way home I started to get a loud squeal almost like a slipping belt sound from my tranny area. I know my throwout bearing was starting to make some noise several months back didnt know if the water and mud would cause it to squeal. Not really sure what it could be. It shifts and runs just fine just makes the noise. Any suggestions on what to check? Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
If noise changes when clutch pedal is depressed it's likely the Throwout Bearing,Also change out your Trans-Transfer Case & Diff fluids due to being submerged under water.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Have packed that area with snow before and also with mud--enough that it "shifted differently"---good cleaning/ washed out the problem "all better"--would be the first thing I would try.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I do know that bad u joints will make a skeaking noise when the needle bearings are dry and worn .

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I did powerwash the undercarriage and it seemed to help a little. I did spray some water up in the inspection plate and some mud came out. Is it pretty easy to remove the inspection plate to take a look or is it one of those "why did I start this projects?" I did change out the front and rear diffs, tranny and transfer case about 3 months ago. I really dont want to change all those back out on a just in case basis. Is there a way to check them without draining them?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Well because oil will float on water it would be hard to check it from the fill plug but I would say open it and see if it is really milky if so you really need to change it .... And check your breather tubes that come off of your diffs they should run pretty high up to the frame , I always replace mine with longer vacuum hose to lead into my tub where there rarely ever is any water .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 98 wrangler, and I also sunk it up to the doors in mud, I was able drive out but a squeak started coming from the tranny or transfer case, I don't know what to do. Did spraying the undercarriage work for getting rid of he squeak or should I have a tranny and transfer case flush?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 98 wrangler, and I also sunk it up to the doors in mud, I was able drive out but a squeak started coming from the tranny or transfer case, I don't know what to do. Did spraying the undercarriage work for getting rid of he squeak or should I have a tranny and transfer case flush?
Spraying all the mud out from under the undercarriage did seem to help a bit but didnt get rid of the problem. I changed out the tranny and tc fluids and still getting the same sound. The fluids were clean as could be since I had changed them out a few months back. Only thing I havent checked is the brakes. Come to think of it I havent changed them but once since Ive owned the jeep! Will try that and keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having a mechanic check out the squeak on the jeep, it looks like its is coming from the transfer case and front drive shaft, I'll let you know what he says

1 - 12 of 12 Posts