Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a used-rebuilt 2002 Wrangler. I love it, I really do. It was perfect until a week later when everything started to fall apart. Its a soft top, green and tan. So after months I found a used hardtop from a friend of a friend but it doesn't have a back window, the guy charged me $300 for it, I was moving to Colorado from Miami so I had to drive it like that all those miles. Im surprised Im not deaf. Anyway, I wanna buy the back window but the guy doesn't know what brand of hardtop he had. I also would like to buy windows for the doors, its just plastic and with the temperatures here they've frozen and split everywhere. Is that possible or do I have to change the whole door? I would love real windows if thats possible of course! And if so, do the doors come with power connections for power windows or at the very least are they the roll type? It also has huge snow tires on, some guy at work told me I have to lift the jeep a little bit because it skids a lot. Im from Miami, so I don't know anything about snow tires or anything like that. Thank you for any help or advise!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Your are gonna have to take the Bull by the Horns and take command of your situation. Go online and compare pictures of the rear window to those of a TJ....I think they were all the same on HT's from '97 to '06.

As for the doors, you can buy a set of full steel doors with real roll up glass windows for <>$800:
1997 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Full Steel Hard Doors Painted Glass D2 | eBay new soft upper door panels for <>$200:
1997 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Hard Half Door Soft Window Uppers Set Tan Oiiiiiiio | eBay
Both of these items can be found cheaper on Craigslist...just gotta jump on the good deals when they come up...hesitation kills.

Skidding a lot has nothing to do with not having a lift. How about a picture or three of your jeep?

·
Registered
84 Posts
300$ for a top with no window.i just gave my old soft top away that I replaced with a black tinted one from rough country for 250$

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If you have a factory top 97/02 will have vent. 03-06 won't. Scroll down this page for glass replacement.

Keep an eye on CL for doors, but be prepared to spend some cash for factory replacements, especially in that state. Offroading is quite popular in CO & the need for full doors in winter may set you back.

Either way, sounds like you twisted off on quite an adventure. Godspeed.

·
Registered
556 Posts
1) Welcome to the forum!

2) You can definitely find full doors with roll up windows if you look long enough. For roll up windows you will need to replace the complete door. My daughter has them on her 2002 TJ Sport. I have the half doors with the soft top on my 2002 TJ X.

3) I can't help you with the hard top issue, but lots of folks on this forum have a wealth of knowledge on every aspect of Jeeps and they will be glad to assist you. Have you checked every part of the hard top (inside and out including the surfaces where it mates to the Jeep for some type of brand symbol or name? Possibly a number (model number)? I have never had a hard top but I would think a manufacturer might want their name on their product somewhere...

4) Why on Earth would you leave sunny Miami for the snow of CO? I am stuck in the Washington, DC area and can't wait to get back South! lol

Good luck and let us know how you are progressing.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Motor7's comment about taking the bull by the horns is accurate. Do your home work on this forum and whatever other resources you can find - vendors, Jeep clubs, etc.

Regarding getting it lifted, ignore that advice. Understand, mine isn't lifted because 1) it isn't necessary for how I use it 2) I don't want to spend the money 3) just reading posts here it seems more of a technical challenge that I don't want to face. However, again, read the posts here before committing to that project.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Top:post a pic or 5 of the hardtop, a few here will be able to tell you what it is.

Tires: "huge" isn't specific enough for us to help you. What size are they, is the suspension stock height? (measure the ride height, read the size on the tires)

Doors: sounds like you have 1/2 doors...if you want roll up windows, you need full doors. You don't want power in the doors of a TJ. Just don't do it. If you want power windows, sell it and buy any other vehicle.

Handling: you're going to have to be more specific.

Search for local Jeep clubs, you should be able to find quite a few Jeepers in your area.(laying eyes on the Jeep aides significantly in diagnosing/troubleshooting).

I don't see where you have been ripped off a single time...Not sure what to think of your title.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
... I found a used hardtop from a friend of a friend but it doesn't have a back window ... the guy doesn't know what brand of hardtop he had. ...
Post a few pictures of the hardtop.
Someone here might be able to identify it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone! Thank you for the replies. Here are pictures of the hard top. The back is just a plastic from the glass store to keep the snow and such away.
I checked Quadratec and other websites but the slide windows are really expensive. Not sure if these are the only choices I have but they're about $200 each slide window, so not even the whole door and not mechanic at all. And yes, I regret having moved here, I don't ski or snowboard and all I do is work at one the resorts where everyone pretends to be happy. Ugh, can't wait to leave haha

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Factory TJ top, the back glass is readily available at numerous places. Upper doors for $200 is fairly cheap, compared to what used full doors will cost you. Given that you live in Colorado, I'd suggest a set of upper doors with glass slider windows, which will be roughly half the cost of full doors, or, if you really want to spend money, you can get a set of fiberglass upper doors with sliding glass, for the same price you'd pay for full doors.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Your skidding problem is likely a combination of issues. I have a 2000 TJ that came with wide tires (33x12.5) ,an automatic transmission and bad brakes. It was not fun to drive and I like to slide around. I bought that Jeep for my 16yo daughter so changes had to be made.

First thing I did was get smaller, skinnier tires. Wide tires spread the weight of the vehicle out over a larger surface area which is good for flotation through mud and sand but really bad on ice. I went with a 31x10.5 All Terain tire because I found someone to trade me for my 33s but if I was buying new they would have been skinnier yet.

Second thing I did was have the rear brakes fixed. The problem with the rear brakes in a TJ is they are not designed for an automatic tranny. There is very little force going to the rear brakes in an attempt to keep the Jeep from spinning around. The auto tranny continues to push at low speeds where as with a manual the clutch would be in taking power away from the wheels. That along with the fact that the automatic adjuster in the drum brake system tend to fail and you end up with no rear brakes and your wheels are still pushing.

Thirdly I strongly recommend having your Jeep in 4 wheel drive whenever the roads are even a little slippery. This will keep the front and back wheels turning together and will greatly improve your stopping power on icy roads. Another solution is to shift the tranny into neutral when you are braking but that is not near as effective as using 4 wheel drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I found the glass on eBay, not sure if its the right one--

Jeep Wrangler Hard Top Glass | eBay

Mine apparently came with a black box where the back wiper is and some cables, it doesn't work but the guy gave it to me anyway and I still have it. I think the glass on this link is just the glass. Do I need the wiper? Do I need to get the glass heated?

Also, Im leaving CO in two weeks. I gotta drive back to Florida. I didn't have time or money to make all these changes, so I will be driving it with the huge tires. Hopefully I can order everything in time and have it installed. One of my coworkers said the window needs to be "compressed or pressurized" and that I can't install that on my own---not that I was going to obviously, but does that mean I have to take it to a specialized glass place?
Im taking it in to have oil changed,air and oil filter, shocks (apparently its the springs that are bad), and break pads. The compressor doesn't work, I don't have ac, but that's not urgent until I get home. What else should I get done on it before I drive 3k miles back?

I also need to buy a jack, last time I had a flat tire my friends jacks didn't work and they ended up manually lifting the jeep, ridiculous. But I don't know how high it has to be. I found this:

Quadratec TJ-HLJM - Sport Cage Hi-Lift® Jack Mount for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
... Do I need the wiper? ...
My rear glass has the wiper blade & the window defroster, too. But, when I unplugged the wiring harness to it, to remove my hardtop, I have never plug that wiring harness back in. I never use my rear wiper or the rear window defroster.

So, to answer your question, no, you won't be needing your rear window wiper.
Just be careful if you're traveling in the snow. Once you get south enough, you won't even need it if it's raining.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Thirdly I strongly recommend having your Jeep in 4 wheel drive whenever the roads are even a little slippery. This will keep the front and back wheels turning together and will greatly improve your stopping power on icy roads. Another solution is to shift the tranny into neutral when you are braking but that is not near as effective as using 4 wheel drive.
Huh? Maybe ice is different where you live, but in Colorado being in 4 wheel drive does nothing to help stop on icy roads. Being prepared and driving for the conditions makes more sense. The vehicles I see off the road around here in the winter are usually 4 wheel drives (and they usually are WAY off the road) because people think 4 wheel drive is invincible. Helps you go, does not help you stop. The natural response when sliding on ice is to keep the brake mashed. You will find most times (and again, proper speed for conditions) if you get off the brake the vehicle will turn and if you are in 4 wheel drive just a touch of gas to help it go in the right direction.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Huh? Maybe ice is different where you live, but in Colorado being in 4 wheel drive does nothing to help stop on icy roads. Being prepared and driving for the conditions makes more sense. The vehicles I see off the road around here in the winter are usually 4 wheel drives (and they usually are WAY off the road) because people think 4 wheel drive is invincible. Helps you go, does not help you stop. The natural response when sliding on ice is to keep the brake mashed. You will find most times (and again, proper speed for conditions) if you get off the brake the vehicle will turn and if you are in 4 wheel drive just a touch of gas to help it go in the right direction.
Spot on advice

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well while I do understand your point(you sound like my mom) the fact is that you are wrong. 4 wheel drive does help stop on the ice. I live in MN, we know ice. The reason 4x4 helps you stop especially in a TJ with an automatic tranny, is that it keeps all your tires (or at least one front and one rear) rolling at the same speed which does help you stop. The biggest problem with TJs w/ autos is that the rear brakes get out of adjustment and don't apply enough braking force to overcome the tranny and they continue to push.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts