Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm interested in hearing the best ways to increase low-end torque on a 2002 4.0L motor.

I have heard Exhaust and Air Intake are two good ways. I'd be interested in hearing what products exactly people recommend.

Thanks!
Donovan

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I have heard Exhaust and Air Intake are two good ways.
That's a negative. Your gains will be minimal if not placebo

Make sure you are geared properly for your tires. Otherwise, the only way for more significant torque is forced induction or engine swap

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
X4 for a re-gear.

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
For low end torque gains outside of gearing I would suggest a stroker engine, with a head built to produce a wall of torque nearer the lower end of the curve. However, given proper gearing the standard 4.0 six cylinder is a fairly torquey engine as it sits in my opinion. It's not a stump pulling V-8 or a wall climbing diesel, but it's no slouch either.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
Converting to an automatic transmission provides 2-3x greater low-end torque. Yes, that's true, thanks to the magic of the automatic's torque converter. :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
converting to an automatic transmission provides 2-3x greater low-end torque. Yes, that's true, thanks to the magic of the automatic's torque converter. :)
lol!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
regearing

Re-gearing is probably most bang for your buck

regearing looks complicated :) I'll hope I can find a good shop in Wisconsin.. When I went to 33" tires, my 5th gear now is not very usable, except on pristine days (no wind) and flat highways.

Thanks for all the comments.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
Regearing is extremely easy. Write a check or give them your Mastercard, pick it up the next day. ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts