Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone might have an answer for this! I have to turn the key 3 times in order to to prime it enough to start. I can hear the fuel pump kick on (it's in a fuel cell behind my seat). I have read a few YY threads about relays and ecm problems...not sure if the same applies for TJ's. Any help is appreciated!

98 TJ 4.0

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Check the fuel pressur regulator. Seems to be a common problem allowing the fuel to drain back.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Check the fuel pressur regulator. Seems to be a common problem allowing the fuel to drain back.
thank you, I will go look at that. for the next guy with a pressure regulator problem:

it's on top of the gas tank.

still looking for other possible solutions while I look into the regulator.

edit: here are some good threads I found regarding it
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/2000-jeep-wrangler-fuel-pump-replacement-45552.html
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/replacing-fuel-pressure-regulator-79784.html

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
I wouldn't bother looking into other possible solutions, your problem is very likely a leaky check valve. There is one in both the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump. The only other possible source of that problem is a leaky fuel injector... but which is far less likely. I've fixed this problem on two different Jeeps and both times it was the fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't bother looking into other possible solutions, your problem is very likely a leaky check valve. There is one in both the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump. The only other possible source of that problem is a leaky fuel injector... but which is far less likely. I've fixed this problem on two different Jeeps and both times it was the fuel pressure regulator.
Thanks Jerry. I'm gonna go to the local pull yard this afternoon and tear up a 97-01 cherokee; bring the whole sending unit home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts