Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed that when I am driving around 20 mph I have a sort of vibration. I would describe it as feeling like a tire has a lump in it. I have put on a couple sets of tires and it still happens so it isn't a tire issue. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Sounds like a tire out of balance.

Or a defective tire. I had that one time. Tread separation.

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
what driveshafts are you running? If aftermarket might be out of balance.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my tires rebalance and tried a different set so I don't think it's the tires. Stock driveshaft with an aev 2 inch spacer lift

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
I would jack up each tire independently and spin them and see how each one feels. Start with the simple stuff.

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,467 Posts
Recently I noticed that when I am driving around 20 mph I have a sort of vibration. I would describe it as feeling like a tire has a lump in it. I have put on a couple sets of tires and it still happens so it isn't a tire issue. Any ideas?

Hi SpiderMonkey345,
We're sorry to hear about your recent vibration concern. I understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for guidance; however, should you decide to have this looked into by your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be happy to add additional support to this process.
Alex
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like I said it isn't a tire problem. I have tried a couple sets and the problem remains. I even tried to move the tires around and it is the same.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

Vibration..........like thump, thump, thump, or bzzzzzz, bzzzzzzz, bzzzzzz? The frequency of the vibration means a lot when diagnosing.

Please SEE and READ my signature.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue. Constant thud, Took it to an actual Jeep Shop, they did the roadforce pressure balance which fixed the issue

·
Super Moderator
22,104 Posts
If you have tried different tires and wheels, then look for a bent axle shaft.
exactly that is why I told him to jack it up and spin each wheel. could be driveshaft too all easy checks

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
It could be an issue with any of the spinning / rotating parts involved. As jadmt mentioned, jacking up the Jeep and spinning the individual tires may point you towards the source of the vibration.
It could also be a bent axle flange as mentioned, which would / should show up as an out of round rotation at that tire.
also possible would be a brake issue.
I doubt someone over the internet will be able to tell you the source of your vibration. The best we can do is tell you how to look for the source of your vibration.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. I don't know a ton about mechanics but I am trying to learn. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
What am I looking for with the driveshafts?

Look for anything that wobbles during rotation. Not going to rule it out, but I think the driveshaft would likely be more of a high speed buzzy type vibration.
A bent axle shaft, when rotating tie tire, the tire would wobble.
To further describe what I say with a bent axle, it would likely be the flange right on the end of the axle that the wheel bolts up to.
Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts