Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering what is going on. 2009 JK Rubicon. 172k miles. I will be driving along and the low tire indicator will come on and go off. I have a Pioneer NEX2300 that is connected to the OBD port so I push a few buttons and check it and the tire pressures are fine. Is this a beginning of an issue with the wireless control module? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Agreed. One probably died, but you may as well replace all four because 10 years is theur outer limits. Had the same issue on my 08 in 17.
Didn't cost much to replace them all at Town Fair Tire.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you ever changed them?

Just thinking... that's about 10 years on the same batteries if you haven't changed them.
They are original. The issue is that the Pioneer NEX radios can display OBD2 on the radio screen like later JK's with EVIC and the tire pressures are visible.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
The light can indicate a low tire pressure or an issue with the system. An issue with the system could be simple, like a dying sensor, or complicated / expensive, like a problem with some of the hardware.
My current Chevy Colorado has a light on nearly all the time now. It is an issue with the left rear receiver, not the sensor. That corner reads low all the time now, it used to be occasional but it progressively got worse.
Have you looked at the pressure reading while the light was on? Perhaps it is a sensor starting to die and it drops out and comes back. That would be cheap to fix, and it would make sense at the age of the vehicle. The batteries in those things don't last forever.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
They are original. The issue is that the Pioneer NEX radios can display OBD2 on the radio screen like later JK's with EVIC and the tire pressures are visible.

The pioneer gets its info from the exact same place the evic does. If the pioneer is reading different then it's probably a slower (or faster) refresh rate.

If the pioneer is reading properly then it can only be an evic problem and not a sensor/receiver issue.

BTW.... you can just turn the evic alarm off if you wish. The pioneer will continue to display air pressure.... or at lest it did with my old 4100nex.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pioneer gets its info from the exact same place the evic does. If the pioneer is reading different then it's probably a slower (or faster) refresh rate.

If the pioneer is reading properly then it can only be an evic problem and not a sensor/receiver issue.

BTW.... you can just turn the evic alarm off if you wish. The pioneer will continue to display air pressure.... or at lest it did with my old 4100nex.
This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes the light comes on along with the red light near the temp guage. Then it goes away. That is why I am concerned that it's the wireless control module. I also have a ProCal and I am familiar with shutting off the TPMS.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I used the ProCal to shut the TPMS warning off. Tire pressures are still being read by the system and I can see them on the radio. So now the red light on the right will light up occasionally. Is this an indication that WCM is failing?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
OK so I'm new to tire warning systems. Where is the wheel sensor located? If you replace your tires would you recommend replacing the sensors or does that happen automatically?

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
OK so I'm new to tire warning systems. Where is the wheel sensor located? If you replace your tires would you recommend replacing the sensors or does that happen automatically?
Different systems can be different. But most have the sensors in the tire mounted to the inside end of the valve stem. And the system on the Jeep will typically auto-detect when you replace sensors or move them around (like during a tire rotation).
The one possible hickup is Jeep used two different sensor frequencies on JK / JKU's. The switch over year was something like 2012. Sensors for the newer JK / JKU's won't work on the older ones and vice versa.
Usually you can get more than a few sets of tires out of a set of sensors. I would expect around ten years of usable life from a set of sensors. If you replace the wheels, or the sensors get old and start to fail, I would buy a set from a vendor you trust (I have bought sensors from vendors I didn't know / trust and it didn't work out). You can get a set of quality aftermarket sensors for a decent price. You can use a widget to turn the system off, but I really can't imagine why you would. The system is very useful. I use a widget to adjust the threshold it goes off at, and it works really well.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I highly doubt (actually find it impossible) that the Pioneer system has direct access to sensor value. So the Pioneer system will get its info from the EVIC. You said the issue is intermittent. Which makes me believe that just like @Bob Sanders said, the Pioneer is likely having a slow refresh rate and that is the reason why the Pioneer does not display the issue right away.

You could actually test the Pioneer system's refresh rate by letting some air out of one of the unaffected tires and see how fast the Pioneer system will update the pressure in comparison to the EVIC.

Plus like it was mentioned, 10 years is long overdue as well. So I would just change all of them regardless.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To update, I am still able to see tire pressure on the Pioneer. It has been 4 days since I shut the alerts off. Still have the red light occasionally coming on. No issues starting the Jeep.

·
Registered
304 Posts
That would be a big waste of money. Either just replace them as needed or ignore the light. Maybe replace the first one when it dies and then the rest the next time you need tires?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
That would be a big waste of money. Either just replace them as needed or ignore the light. Maybe replace the first one when it dies and then the rest the next time you need tires?
I am at the next time I need tires or close to it. I have death wobble so was going to start with a high speed balance and an alignment however, I am wondering if it is a waste of money if I purchase new tires in a few months and then have to pay to balance and align all over again.

I am not seeing any warning light but didn't know where these sensors are located but assumed that they might be part of the valve stem. Many times when doing new tires the stems are replaced so that is why I asked. As I said, this Jeep is my first vehicle with sensors so I no nothing about them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts