Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Heard a bunch of talk that the manual trannys coming right out of the factory are low on fluid. Any truth to this or another forum myth ?

Just ordered a new 15 Wrangler and wonder if I should check and or change that oil?

P Scott

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hey guys Heard a bunch of talk that the manual trannys coming right out of the factory are low on fluid. Any truth to this or another forum myth ? Just ordered a new 15 Wrangler and wonder if I should check and or change that oil? P Scott
It's possible. Anything is possible. It doesn't take very long to check the fluid to make sure there's enough. Pull the fill and stick your finger in.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The dealer is supposed to check that plus everything else when it's prepped prior to delivery, but you can easily check it. I wouldn't change it on a new vehicle. After some miles you might want to consider switching to synthetic.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Definitely worth checking. I have a '14 and changed out manual transmission fluid to synthetic in October (1 year old) to reduce the stiffness when cold. Drained just over 1 qt and I filled it with just over 2 qts before is started flowing out the fill hole.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I just checked my '15 JKU and when I couldn't feel any fluid with my finger decided to drain/replace. I drained out just under 1.5 qts, while putting in nearly 2 before it started oozing.

I didn't notice bad shifting necessarily, but it does seem a bit smoother now. Definitely check it, lots of good advice on this site to assist

·
Registered
765 Posts
Certainly worth a check, and easy to do. Mind was quite low. The dealership failed to check it upon delivery no doubt.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Drive it for a few hundred miles to break in, then drain it to get the crap out and refill with Redline MTL or Pennzoil Syncromesh.

Its not a difficult job with a fluid pump. You'll know its full and get the slightly smoother shifting benefit of running the synthetic.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine was about a qt low also.. 2015 35 miles and still low

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No -I mean I checked it for the 1st time and it was low a qt.. couldnt believe it

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 and changed the trans fluid this past spring. I used Amsoil Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. Based on what I drained out of it, I was about a qt low.
Also changed the transfer case fluid at the same time and it was a touch low too. Just used the Mopar ATF +4 fluid in that one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts