Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have started a project on my Jeep to shed weight and replace heavy components with equivalent lighter ones. The big two items that could easily shed weight for me would be the front and rear bumpers. I currently have:

• MetalCloak Mid-Width Front Bumper with Mid Stinger weighing at 80 lbs
  • MetalCloak Crawler Rear Bumper weighing at 80 lbs

If I take out the stinger on the front bumper (I never really put it to use), I can shed approximately 20 lbs. I really like the style/look of these bumpers, but hoping to find something similar at a lower weight (aluminum perhaps?).

I've heard that the Poison Spyder bumpers are lighter weight, but I can't find the spec on them to see how much they weigh.

I looked at GenRight aluminum as an alternative, but they also don't list the weight on their website and they're very pricey. I'm not a massive fan of the look of their bumper either.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
I have a Rockhard front bumper, and Rockhard engine and tranny skid plates. I'm very impressed, and the weight savings is significant.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'll second the Rockhard bumpers, they aren't cheap but nothing quality is.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Based on their website, it looks like the Rockhard bumpers weigh as much as 137 lbs! That's way more than what mine weighs right now.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,257 Posts
Based on their website, it looks like the Rockhard bumpers weigh as much as 137 lbs! That's way more than what mine weighs right now.
Make sure you are looking at the aluminum ones if you want to save weight.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I have started a project on my Jeep to shed weight and replace heavy components with equivalent lighter ones. The big two items that could easily shed weight for me would be the front and rear bumpers. I currently have:

• MetalCloak Mid-Width Front Bumper with Mid Stinger weighing at 80 lbs
  • MetalCloak Crawler Rear Bumper weighing at 80 lbs

If I take out the stinger on the front bumper (I never really put it to use), I can shed approximately 20 lbs. I really like the style/look of these bumpers, but hoping to find something similar at a lower weight (aluminum perhaps?).

I've heard that the Poison Spyder bumpers are lighter weight, but I can't find the spec on them to see how much they weigh.

I looked at GenRight aluminum as an alternative, but they also don't list the weight on their website and they're very pricey. I'm not a massive fan of the look of their bumper either.

I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Call them.

·
Registered
799 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I think the ARB stubby I have is about 66lbs. Extreme Terrain rates it at 149lbs which it DEFINITELY is not. I lifted it on to my Jeep no problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,879 Posts
can not beat stock for light weight and cheap replacements all day long.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not see the aluminum bumpers on there. Do any manufacturer's make aluminum bumpers similar to the Poison Spyder/ Metalcloak look?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Go with a bumper delete in the rear. Can't get much lighter than that. I know my ACE Stubby front was super light when I had it on there. I believe ACE makes some aluminum ones as well.

VKS fab has some really petite and light bumpers, very similar to PS ones.

·
Registered
557 Posts
For the front, look at some of the lower end stubbys. When I was looking, I remember one of them (steel) being 35 pounds! For the rear.....boy....you're not going to beat the oem plastic one. I pulled mine off on a tree offroading, so had to just unbolt the inserts, screw them back in the bumper and bolt it on. It weighs nothing.

I could say the same for the front, but if you've got a winch, that isn't going to work.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
For the front, look at some of the lower end stubbys. When I was looking, I remember one of them (steel) being 35 pounds! For the rear.....boy....you're not going to beat the oem plastic one. I pulled mine off on a tree offroading, so had to just unbolt the inserts, screw them back in the bumper and bolt it on. It weighs nothing.

I could say the same for the front, but if you've got a winch, that isn't going to work.
You can use a winch plate with a stock bumper, like this one:

https://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jk-winch-mounting-plate-1162c.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjrvpBRC0ARIsAFrFuV88bQbCHO4tmq7VALFfgOD3huTXFOJ8fX9YwE_I0cqMRrYzYZTNMqMaArgDEALw_wcB

This is on my parent's Sahara and works great.

·
Super Moderator
22,879 Posts

hardrock4x4 winch plate, VR10000S and stock bumper.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Go with a bumper delete in the rear. Can't get much lighter than that. I know my ACE Stubby front was super light when I had it on there. I believe ACE makes some aluminum ones as well.

VKS fab has some really petite and light bumpers, very similar to PS ones.

VKS Fab was exactly what I was looking for!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts