Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've had it on OTHER vehicles. Why are you interested?

How satisfied you are depends upon what your expectations are.

Advantages:
*Engine stays clean inside.
*Dirt Cheap in Canada
*Low Pollution

Disadvantages:
*Lousy fuel mileage.
*Less power.
*Hard to find fuel stations on a trip.
*Tank HEAVY and takes up lots of space giving short range. *Many states charge HIGH tax to license them, since propane/LPG is not as heavily taxed as gasoline and diesel.
*Very expensive in certain areas (in NJ was DOUBLE gasoline price).
*Won't work in cold weather (poor vaporization at low temperatures).

Bob

Micknber said:
Has anyone out there done one?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, interesting points you raise there Bob. Well we live in Australia and here, our fuel is almost $1.50AUD per litre and LPG is 49cents per litre. The government is offering $2000 to anyone who converts to LPG. It's just that my son has the Wrangler and I love the thing but it's so damned thirsty!! My husband and I drive a Suzuki Sierra, I think you call them Samurais over there and it's a fantastic little car...done 280 000km and never had work other than a clutch plate change done on it, goes absolutely anywhere and is cheap to run. Would love to cut costs for my son. I don't think cold weather would be a prob here...we are in winter right now and our temps range from 10C to 25C.:D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since your Gov't will about pay for the conversion, and the cost of LPG is 1/3rd the price of petrol, it sounds like a good deal. The only "fly" is that the tank will take up some valuable space in the vehicle unless they replace the gas tank w/ two smaller tanks side-by side.

Expect a 20-25% decrease in fuel mileage based on volume of fuel (liters).

I get about 22-24mpg (US gallon = 3.785 liters I think), which is 6.35 miles/liter. You may use km/100liters, so that's 1016km/100liters with my 2000 TJ w/ the 4.0liter 6cyl and 5 speed (3.78 dif and 235/75-15 tires). A lot of it is driving style, and I know folks that get only 14mpg (600km/100liters) if I did my math correctly.

In any case, if you get the conversion almost free, with that price of fuel differential you cannot lose. A bonus might be resale as well, assuming the conversion is a sought after one.

Here in the States, LPG is VERY unpopular, and in some places VERY expensive. It's ALWAYS a pain to find and buy it. At most stations you can fuel with petrol immediately, but an LPG stop may take 30 minutes!!

Bob
P.S. I lived in Alaska, so when I said "cold," I mean COLD. Even at 20 deg F (-7 deg C) it becomes reluctant to vaporize, and at -40 F (also -40C) forget it!

Micknber said:
Hmmm, interesting points you raise there Bob. Well we live in Australia and here, our fuel is almost $1.50AUD per litre and LPG is 49cents per litre. The government is offering $2000 to anyone who converts to LPG. It's just that my son has the Wrangler and I love the thing but it's so damned thirsty!! My husband and I drive a Suzuki Sierra, I think you call them Samurais over there and it's a fantastic little car...done 280 000km and never had work other than a clutch plate change done on it, goes absolutely anywhere and is cheap to run. Would love to cut costs for my son. I don't think cold weather would be a prob here...we are in winter right now and our temps range from 10C to 25C.:D

·
Banned
38 Posts
My service truck runs on LPG. Had problems up in the Sierras, Lake Tahoe. I changed the 3/8 high pressure fuel line to 5/8. Helped the vaporization rate considerably. that little 3/8 line just got sucked up to fast and wouldnt replenish quick enough. No problems since. Up in Truckee it gets below zero and still no problems. Knock on wood. But hey I work for a propane company, so access for fuel is plentifull, to say the least.

I have a friend up in anchorage that tried it up there, but no luck. Too damn cold.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm....all things considered, it probably wouldn't make much difference in the long run compared to petrol. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts