Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lq9 Ls motor in my yj and have been having problems with huge amounts of heat underhood. It's so sealed up in there.

I am having trouble tuning it because its getting such high inlet air temps and pulling stupid amounts of timing.

I got fed up with it today and pulled the fenders off until I figure something else out.

Tell me what you think on the look. This should help a lot for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most of my "non" jeep friends think it look like hammered shit. Pardon my French. I like jeeps with no fenders. One guy says to put them back on and cut holes in hood. I don't want it ghetto.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
put louvers in the hood, could even put them in the fenders above the "jeep" logo
lots of styles to chose from.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I plan on eventually Puting an ls in mine (eventually). My plan is to make a ram air hood for both air intake & engine compartment cooling.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Looks great ther is fenders on these things??/

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to run without fenders for a while till I save up for louvers. I want a big louver panel for the middle of the hood and a smaller louver for each side of the hump. Then a set for each side. And I will cut the majority of the fenderwell out. Possibly a tube flat fender kit.

Funds are at a halt right now until I find out about my tools that got stolen. I had a welder, plasma, air tools and dewalt 18v tool set stolen in the last 48hrs

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's efi, and is doing stupid things with timing because of inlet air temps. I need to build a box for my filter and snorkel it outside. Possibly notch hood and have tubing stick out 90ed towards the front.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Switch to tube fenders, get some hood loovers and you will be golden.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
88lsxyj said:
It's efi, and is doing stupid things with timing because of inlet air temps. I need to build a box for my filter and snorkel it outside. Possibly notch hood and have tubing stick out 90ed towards the front.
Y not just put a snorkel on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^^^ I decided to build an air box with a tube coming out on top of fender with. Notch in the hood. Like the snorkel kit but just have it facing forward with. Screen on it. The jeep is so big it doesn't need a snorkel but I'm not ruling it out. Main thing is the tube filters and filter box first.

·
Registered
717 Posts
diagnosing

What is the specific high temperature issue? Is it underhood temperatures are getting too hot for the components, or is it that the inlet air to the intake is too hot?

If it is the inlet air to the intake, then that is solved by getting the air intake out of the interior of the engine compartment. If you mount it out the side and point it forward, you will pick up a lot of garbage (insects, dust, dirt, etc.) If you can route it forward through the side of the grille area.

If it is actual underhood heat, then a 2 speed, heavy duty electric fan should bring the temp down. Might actually work for the inlet air but will be very noisy at low speeds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's both. I have two high speed 14 or 16in fans on the radiator. One push one pull. I am going to just do a snorkel.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts