Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all!
i have an 07 sahara unlimited and i think i am pulling the trigger on an LS 5.3 aluminum HO paired with the 4l60e transmission Swap! I am very excited! anyway, i was wondering what will be the best trans for the set up. The 4l60e is a 4 speed auto that i was told would be paired well with my 4.11 gears. I am thinking about the 6 speed auto 6l80e. what do you all think is the best choice? i am mainly a highway, around town driving with light trail riding. I am trying to decide soon. Thanks for your help! also i am getting to swap done by jsswapshop.com They are in topeka Kansas. does anyone have any experience with them?

·
Super Moderator
15,500 Posts
Go with the strongest you can get.
My understanding from the time I spent at a Cadillac dealership, GM 4L60E translate to
4= Gears (forward)
L= Longitudinally mounted
60= Strength Rating
E= Electronically controlled

So an 80 will be stronger than a 60.

·
Registered
103 Posts
700-R4 Vs. 4L60E Vs. 4L65E - Hot Rod Magazine

This article is a pretty good resource for the older 4 speeds - which can probably be had much cheaper than a newer 6 speed. Common in Corvettes and trucks. In other words, can handle power and weight.

Whatever you get, you may have to swap out the tail shaft so that it will connect to a JK compatible transfer case.

I have absolutely no experience with this swap, but I do have a Corvette and a truck, each with the 4L6x transmission. There are loads of aftermarket parts available.

·
Registered
49 Posts
700-R4 Vs. 4L60E Vs. 4L65E - Hot Rod Magazine

I have absolutely no experience with this swap, but I do have a Corvette and a truck, each with the 4L6x transmission. There are loads of aftermarket parts available.
I too have a 4l60e in my 02 z28. They are good transmissions once properly built (not that they aren't good before, just not great i guess.). I don't know how it applies to the 5.3 and 4l60e, but a ls1 (5.7) and 4l60e aren't a great pair for power when left stock. What I mean is the 5.7 doesn't make power until higher up in the band so the stock converter in the 4l60e sucks. From memory, the stock ls1 coverter stalls around 1700rpm but the 5.7 doesnt really start to make power until around 3000 rpm so a very popular mod is to put a 3600 stall converter in my car. I just don't know how that big of a converter would fair in the rest of the jeep's drivetrain or for off-roading. I know this is based off of my experience with the 5.7 but I imagine the 5.3 is probably around the same point as far as when the power really comes in.

I can give you some good sites to do some research on if you PM me. I don't want to step on any toes by posting it in here.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I too have a 4l60e in my 02 z28. They are good transmissions once properly built (not that they aren't good before, just not great i guess.). I don't know how it applies to the 5.3 and 4l60e, but a ls1 (5.7) and 4l60e aren't a great pair for power when left stock. What I mean is the 5.7 doesn't make power until higher up in the band so the stock converter in the 4l60e sucks. From memory, the stock ls1 coverter stalls around 1700rpm but the 5.7 doesnt really start to make power until around 3000 rpm so a very popular mod is to put a 3600 stall converter in my car. I just don't know how that big of a converter would fair in the rest of the jeep's drivetrain or for off-roading. I know this is based off of my experience with the 5.7 but I imagine the 5.3 is probably around the same point as far as when the power really comes in.

I can give you some good sites to do some research on if you PM me. I don't want to step on any toes by posting it in here.
The 4l60e has a very low 1st gear. Second gear is almost twice as high.
I don't think it will need much stall.
The issue with a high stall converter is the heat that it developes. Better to run proper gearing to match use, and stay close to stock on stall, if possible.

Also better to go late 4l60e or 4l65e. Tail housing uses a 6 bolt flange that is much stronger than the early 4 bolt flange.

4l60e versus 700r4. My "personal" opinion is 4l60e. Much easier, programming and better case.

·
Registered
329 Posts
6l80e......check out Motec if you want a perfect end result.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts