Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
‘14 JKU Sport, auto, 33’s, 3.21

Builder has proposed regearing to 4.56, Trutrak LSD front and rear, and option for selectable lockers front and/or rear.

I do not anticipate going bigger tires.

My offroading involves medium/difficult trails, not extreme rock crawling. Still I may end up on a rocky, muddy hill to climb. Think Firebreak Five if you know it.

Opinions sought:

1. 4.11 or 4.56 ?

2. LSD front/rear, no lockers ?

3. LSD front, selectable locker rear

4. LSD rear, selectable locker front

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Story is the jk d30 is not all that strong with a locker. I have no proof of that.
The trutrac spreads the pain out, which helps prevent breakage.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
423 Posts

I run moderate to difficult rock trails. I started with Truetrac F&R. I was very surprised with what I could climb. Never noticed them on pavement or icy conditions. As long as both wheels have contact they work awesome. It's not uncommon for me to get high centered with 2.5" and 35's. The front would go "open" more often than the rear. If the rear goes open you can use the emergency brake to add pressure to help keep it "locked". I eventually decided to lock both but didn't feel confident locking the D30. I kept the LSD up front and did ARB in the rear for a season. This year I'm locked F&R but haven't got to wheel that way yet.

My opinion..
LSD F&R could likely work great for what you do.

Locked F LSD R would be the best performance of your options but the D30 may or may not withstand. A lot depends on how you wheel.

I wouldn't go LSD F locked R unless I was going to lock the front in the future. I would just leave the front open until I was ready to lock it.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
I was on the fence with 4.11 or 4.56 in my JK with 33s. I ordered the 4.11s because of highway speeds, the math is something around [email protected]

Also I currently have a rear tru-trac and will install a matching front when I regear. They are reliable and require no extra maintenance.

Selectable lockers are great but I'm not interested in extra switches, wiring and plumbing. Also no risk of putting the transmission in limp mode while driving in 2hi or 4hi

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was on the fence with 4.11 or 4.56 in my JK with 33s. I ordered the 4.11s because of highway speeds, the math is something around [email protected]

Also I currently have a rear tru-trac and will install a matching front when I regear. They are reliable and require no extra maintenance.

Selectable lockers are great but I'm not interested in extra switches, wiring and plumbing. Also no risk of putting the transmission in limp mode while driving in 2hi or 4hi
Thanks. Are you saying you regret the 4.11 decision ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks. Are you saying you regret the 4.11 decision ?

Sorry, I wasn't clear at all. 4.56 seemed excessive for 33s. Im currently running 3.74s and swapping in 4.10s

70mph [email protected] vs [email protected]
85mph [email protected] vs [email protected]

Currently you are running (auto 3.21 33s)
5th [email protected] [email protected]
4th [email protected] [email protected]
3rd [email protected] [email protected]

Driving on the highway in 4th with feel similar to 4.10s

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
4.10 will be perfect for 33s. If you think that you will ever stepped up to 35 then go 4.56.

I am running and recommend Tru-tracs in both diffs in both my Wranglers. I wouldn't lock a 30, with 35s. You should be ok locking a 30 with 33s

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
4.10 will be perfect for 33s. If you think that you will ever stepped up to 35 then go 4.56.

I am running and recommend Tru-tracs in both diffs in both my Wranglers. I wouldn't lock a 30, with 35s. You should be ok locking a 30 with 33s
Thank you.

But now, really, what will the LSD give me that traction control won’t ?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Thank you.

But now, really, what will the LSD give me that traction control won’t ?

You are much more likely to get effective use out of the tire on the ground with trutrac. And the tt works even better with the BLD system.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Worlds of difference between the trutracs and the ESP

TruTrac hands down.

Reactions: Pinstriper

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks. I am regearing from 3.21, so one axle will get an air locker, the other Trutrac, rather than just a carrier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts