Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The size and tire that I am currently looking at is a 285/70R17 Toyo Open Country ATII. Now my question is will a P-metric tire work for me? I am mostly on the freeway and local driving and every once in a while plan on going to some trails here and there. Nothing crazy. But I noticed the Max PSI on a PMetric was about 44 where the LT was 80 which seemed like a huge difference. Will the Pmetric hold up with the weight of the jeep?

(Also, this Toyo in this size doesn't come in a C or D rated. so its either the Pmetric or 10Ply )

·
Registered
927 Posts
I ran the previous version the Open Country ATs in P285/70/17s they ran great, they are very light which helps keep the mileage decent, I believe the ATIIs have a 65k mile warrantee as well. They are more than strong enough for the weight of the Jeep.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Most off roaders prefer LT due to stronger sidewalls that resist trail damage better. Flats in the outback are no fun.

Either will have more than enough load carrying capacity for a JK.

·
Super Moderator
14,523 Posts
If your off road use is light, go with the P's. The LT has a lot more durable sidewall, but it also will ride noticeably stiffer on road.

Jeeps are light...

The ATII is a great tire.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran the previous version the Open Country ATs in P285/70/17s they ran great, they are very light which helps keep the mileage decent, I believe the ATIIs have a 65k mile warrantee as well. They are more than strong enough for the weight of the Jeep.
Oh Okay great, I was just worried it wouldn't hold up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The size and tire that I am currently looking at is a 285/70R17 Toyo Open Country ATII. Now my question is will a P-metric tire work for me? I am mostly on the freeway and local driving and every once in a while plan on going to some trails here and there. Nothing crazy. But I noticed the Max PSI on a PMetric was about 44 where the LT was 80 which seemed like a huge difference. Will the Pmetric hold up with the weight of the jeep?

(Also, this Toyo in this size doesn't come in a C or D rated. so its either the Pmetric or 10Ply )
i have 275/70/15 on my lj and there amazing the gentleman before me put brand new ones on (kinda pricey up there with duratracs almost like 30$ cheaper) and there are great no road noise, light and very good in mud actually i cant wait to see what there like in snow

·
Registered
237 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts