Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Team,

So I bought some replacement lug nuts for the 2010JK (sport), and was going to switch them out. I was originally thinking I wouldn't need to get a re-alignment, but thought I would run it by you guys first.

Thoughts...?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Team, So I bought some replacement lug nuts for the 2010JK (sport), and was going to switch them out. I was originally thinking I wouldn't need to get a re-alignment, but thought I would run it by you guys first. Thoughts...?
a lug nut has nothing to do with alignment...

·
Registered
248 Posts
and speaking of lug nuts ... i bought a used 2011 and when i checked my lug nuts of the nuts were stripped. Can anyone give me some advise on how to fix this problem. I am only running with 4 nuts on one wheel.. sorry didn't want to hi jack this thread but since i'm nuts thought it would be appropriate :) thx. H

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
and speaking of lug nuts ... i bought a used 2011 and when i checked my lug nuts of the nuts were stripped. Can anyone give me some advise on how to fix this problem. I am only running with 4 nuts on one wheel.. sorry didn't want to hi jack this thread but since i'm nuts thought it would be appropriate :) thx. H
Get a socket one size smaller than the lug, pound it on with a hammer and then remove.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get a socket one size smaller than the lug, pound it on with a hammer and then remove.
This does work. My XJ had the same issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes this thread is for real :) ! , my dealer whom i bought my jeep from went BK so i have no recourse on a used 2011.

How does the lug come out ? Can someone explain in laymans terms how the procedure works.. blow by blow please :)

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
How does the lug come out ? Can someone explain in laymans terms how the procedure works.. blow by blow please :)
exactly!

Remove the wheel according to the owners manual.
Remove the caliper, not completely.
Take rotor off place on two pieces of wood. Apply hammer to the stripped lug until it comes out.
Reverse the procedure to put one on.
Lug may not go all the way on, but it will pull thru when you torque the lugnuts .

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
exactly!

Remove the wheel according to the owners manual.
Remove the caliper, not completely.
Take rotor off place on two pieces of wood. Apply hammer to the stripped lug until it comes out.
Reverse the procedure to put one on.
Lug may not go all the way on, but it will pull thru when you torque the lugnuts .
I actually just replaced a lug recently. When you change brakes you can just remove the 2 smaller bolts and rotate the caliper up. For this you need to take out the 2 large 22mm bolts and remove the caliper. Use a couple of long zip ties to firmly secure it so that is doesn't fall and tear a brake line.

YOU DO NOT need to remove the rotor. Rotate the rotor until you see the back of the lug in the clear. Tap the lug with a BFH and it will pop free. Coat the new lug lightly with some white lithium grease. Insert the new lug. Place one or two extra large nuts or several large washers over the lug to act as spacers. Hand thread the lug nut, then tight it down with a breaker bar or preferably an impact wrench. (I use a battery powered impact wrench, air works best)

This will pull the lug through and properly seat it. I do not advise hammering the new lug in or just using normal torque to seat it. It should be fully seated before replacing the wheel.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Small correction....it must be a 12 point socket..not a regular hex, or you'll be pounding forever. Also, make sure it's a cheap socket, not one made out of hardened quality steel. You need it to bend and deform.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l833ta7V6FY

1 - 20 of 21 Posts