Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I went out to do an oil change and tire rotation today, oil change went fine, no problems. When I went to take off the first wheel is when the problems started, I managed to put the wrong size socket on my cross on the lug nut and rounded the corners. No biggie, I'll just put an 8 point on and take it off with the right sized socket... here's where it starts to get ugly... I start turning it with my breaker bar and it just keeps turning. I look closer and it seems the stud is turning in the rotor! and to make matters worse, the nut is now extremely distorted. I can probably get hold of the nut with one of those "grabs all rounded nut" sockets, but how can I keep the stud from spinning?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Bummer , might try a air impact tighten to see if stud will bite some then loosen. IDK....

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
OK, so I went out to do an oil change and tire rotation today, oil change went fine, no problems. When I went to take off the first wheel is when the problems started, I managed to put the wrong size socket on my cross on the lug nut and rounded the corners. No biggie, I'll just put an 8 point on and take it off with the right sized socket... here's where it starts to get ugly... I start turning it with my breaker bar and it just keeps turning. I look closer and it seems the stud is turning in the rotor! and to make matters worse, the nut is now extremely distorted. I can probably get hold of the nut with one of those "grabs all rounded nut" sockets, but how can I keep the stud from spinning?

Your thoughts are appreciated.
If they are the original lug nuts, they are most likely sleeved and the sleeve is what is spinning, I had the same problem. I ended up removing the damaged sleeve, (I don't remember how at this point) and then beat a smaller socket on the bare lug to remove it. i ruined the socket that i used. Good luck!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yep, the OEM ones have a tin cap over the lug nut they will spin on the nut, you can either put a smaller socket on or you may be able to punch a hole in the tim cap and pry it off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts