Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2016 Wrangler Willys used. Unfortunately, there was no owner's manual and no lug nut key that I can find. The manual I found online. Any suggestions for a lug nut key? Kinda pisses me off. every vehicle I've ever traded in had everything that came with it including the security wrench to remove the license plate security screws.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I bought a used 2015 JKUR, and had to buy an owner's manual on Ebay because it wasn't included. Wasn't a big deal to me. If it had had locking lug nuts and no key, I would have been a lot more upset. Do you know what kind of locking lug nuts are on your Jeep? Perhaps the manufacturer can help.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I assume you checked the glove box, the console box, and the jack area under the rear cargo floor.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
What kind of lock is it? I had this issue three times before.

Once, I took it to the dealer with 5 new plain lugs and asked them to remove the locks. They had an assortment of keys and did it for free.

The second time, I hammered a socket on the locking lugs and spun them off.

The third, I managed to find the receipt for the key and I ordered a new set from McGard. I think they also might be able to match if you send them a pic.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only locking lug nut is on the spare. I like the idea of having the spare locked but not without the key. McGard I believe is the manufacturer but I have no key numbers or any other reference.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
If you only have the one on the spare, drop into the dealer and ask nicely if they will remove it. I had a similar issue and the service adviser had someone come out and remove it. Didn't charge me anything either although I was willing to pay them to do it.

If you really want to lock the spare (and that is only going to slow down a determined thief) then buy a new set from Amazon. A set of McGards runs about $40

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I was going to do a brake job for my neighbor on his Nissan and I asked where his lug nut ket was and he had no clue. He took it to a tire shop and they removed it for him. If the Jeep dealer cannot remove it, take it to a tire shop. You can then either buy another locking lug nut or just a standard lug nut.

·
Registered
793 Posts
The only locking lug nut is on the spare. I like the idea of having the spare locked but not without the key. McGard I believe is the manufacturer but I have no key numbers or any other reference.
You can call McGard and send them a picture of the locking lug nut and they will send you the correct key, if you have proof of ownership.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

My dealer puts a locking lug nut on the spare of every Wrangler, as it comes off the truck. For me, the key was in a thick plastic (vinyl?) zip-lock bag. Seen anything looking like that?

·
Premium Member
8,359 Posts
My dealer always puts 5 locking lugs on the Jeeps with external spare and 4 on all other new vehicles. The key is in the glove box along with the registration for the key.

If it is McCard (you can look on line and see their shape to confirm) you can do as RKKRAWL suggested.

·
Registered
897 Posts
McGard and Gorilla provide a sticker with their locks that has the lock pattern number on it. Look in places like the underside of both center console lids.

If it's the type that has a free-spinning outer cover (possibly only Gorilla makes these?), you can't hammer a socket on it, but if you have to go that route, instead of wrecking a socket, you can buy a hardened sharp-toothed socket made to remove stripped nuts that will work just as well and will survive the process.

I don't know about 2016 but our 2017 didn't have a manual and I was told it's only supplied electronically these days (apparently loaded into the radio, which we ditched immediately, and for download as a PDF, which I always do anyway).

·
Registered
879 Posts
Take it to Discount Tire and they will remove them for you and provide with new locks and keys if you want. I had my McGuard key break and had to have the locks removed. I went with Gorilla locks after my bad experience with McGuard locks.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,889 Posts
Drop by Discount Tire. They will do it free of charge.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Contacted McGard - They set me up with a replacement. They were great to deal with. Thanks for the suggestions.
Glad it worked out. I have been surprised before and thought no key was provided only to find it somewhere later, like zip tied to the emergency jack handle or under the back seat.

For anyone else that goes through this, you can order/buy a set of lug nut/lock removers too if you want to do it yourself. Basically a set of common different size 1/2" shank lug nut sockets with reverse threading inside instead of a bolt pattern. You put the closest fitting one on, spin backwards (preferably with an impact) and the threads help pull it on to the lock tighter while you are spinning counter clockwise until it gets jammed on hard enough and your spinning backs the lock off.

I have a set and feel like I end up using them on every other used car I buy. Any tire store will have the same, as well as any wheel thieves out there. Which is why you never bother with buying wheel locks in the first place. All they do is cause yourself trouble but they are only a minor time deterrent to someone coming with his tools and a jack anyway who has enough time to remove your wheels. The locks won't deter him if he wants those wheels,, he has seen them all before and has defeated them all before. Reminds me of people who put "the club" on their steering wheel and think it's going to help in some way, shape, or form. 30 seconds and it's gone.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Which is why you never bother with buying wheel locks in the first place. All they do is cause yourself trouble but they are only a minor time deterrent to someone coming with his tools and a jack anyway who has enough time to remove your wheels. The locks won't deter him if he wants those wheels,, he has seen them all before and has defeated them all before. Reminds me of people who put "the club" on their steering wheel and think it's going to help in some way, shape, or form. 30 seconds and it's gone.
That's like saying don't lock your doors because people will break in anyway.

Reactions: MoabCarl

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
That's like saying don't lock your doors because people will break in anyway.
If you mean the doors on my house, that's comparing apples to oranges.

If you mean the doors on my Jeep, no I don't lock them because I don't need someone who wants to get in there taking a knife to my soft top.

·
Premium Member
8,359 Posts
If you mean the doors on my Jeep, no I don't lock them because I don't need someone who wants to get in there taking a knife to my soft top.

I locked the doors on a convertible one time in 1966. I had just bought a new TR-4A and was waiting for my flight training class to start. I had to report in every morning at 8AM and was then free for the day. I parked outside the building waiting for 8AM and when I got out, by habit, I locked the door. When I came out, I reached in my pocket for the keys and found an empty pocket. I looked in the car and they were hanging from the ignition.

I simply unsnapped the top just behind the drivers door, reached in and unlocked the door. I then snapped the three top snaps back on and drove away. I have never locked a convertible since.

Any of us who has driven a soft top Jeep can probably break in without damage if we need to. However, Tommy Thief, just going to take out his trusty knife and slash open the window.

Never lock a convertible and never leave anything in it that you don't want to lose. When I go to the store in the soft top Jeep, I put the stuff in the Jeep, put up the buggy, climb in and drive home.

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,492 Posts
McGard and Gorilla provide a sticker with their locks that has the lock pattern number on it. Look in places like the underside of both center console lids.

If it's the type that has a free-spinning outer cover (possibly only Gorilla makes these?), you can't hammer a socket on it, but if you have to go that route, instead of wrecking a socket, you can buy a hardened sharp-toothed socket made to remove stripped nuts that will work just as well and will survive the process.

I don't know about 2016 but our 2017 didn't have a manual and I was told it's only supplied electronically these days (apparently loaded into the radio, which we ditched immediately, and for download as a PDF, which I always do anyway).
Who told you this, the dealer? :blackeye Our 2017 came with a full manual, in a protective sleeve with all the tire manufacturers warranty information, etc. Unless you bought it used, you were lied to.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts