Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a 98 Wrangler. The PO put 33 inch wheels and great looking tires. What do you use as a lug nut wrench? The standard wrench will not work with the deep wheels

·
Registered
538 Posts
I keep a star lug wrench in the Jeep. Not a little one - one with a big enough span to get some leverage. On trail runs, I bring a big breaker bar, an impact, and appropriate socket as a part of the toolkit.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
A lot depends on your wheels. On my last set the chrome lug nuts were recessed into holes and were 13/16". The only socket I could find with an outside diameter small enough to get in the holes was a Craftsman sparkplug socket, so I bought a few of them and took the rubber out, then carried one in my Jeep with a 6" extension and a breaker bar, and threw the other couple in my tool box. My new wheels take a 3/4" socket, but I still use the breaker bar and extension. I find it easier to store than a star wrench.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,398 Posts
New owner of a 98 Wrangler. The PO put 33 inch wheels and great looking tires. What do you use as a lug nut wrench? The standard wrench will not work with the deep wheels
If they're the type of wheel I'm thinking of with a small diameter deep hole for the lug nut, just go get a thin-wall socket to fit, likely a 13/16". My first aftermarket wheels were American Eagle 054 and standard sockets wouldn't work on them either.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
I picked up a collapsible lug wrench from oriellys for $10. Its done well in the year I have had it.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
I have kept a 1/2" pull bar, 4" extension and appropriate deep socket in every one of my vehicles for the last several decades. They are a lot better option that star wrenches for with it you have 3 sockets not needed and more leverage. Of course at home I have the 1/2" air drill.

Of course in my pickups, I also kept an 8,000 pound bottle jack.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts