Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, but I got burned by this once on a different car.

My Jeep has the stock 16" steel wheels on it. I found someone local and bought the stock 17" alloy rims from their 2010 Unlimited.

I am getting new tires put on those 17" wheels soon and was wondering if the current lug nuts for the 16" wheels I have now will still work/fit or if I will need different ones.

They look like they will but I once changed wheels like this on a Toyota and the new wheels required different lug nuts and there were none available. I was then stuck waiting for nearly a month and they cost $100.

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
it depends on the wheels, in most cases they will be fine, but in some situations, the "taper" at the end of the lug nut will not seat well in the rim (hole for lug). I would make them prove/show you how it is not working.....most situations (95% of the time) they are fine.

·
Registered
390 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but I got burned by this once on a different car.

My Jeep has the stock 16" steel wheels on it. I found someone local and bought the stock 17" alloy rims from their 2010 Unlimited.

I am getting new tires put on those 17" wheels soon and was wondering if the current lug nuts for the 16" wheels I have now will still work/fit or if I will need different ones.

They look like they will but I once changed wheels like this on a Toyota and the new wheels required different lug nuts and there were none available. I was then stuck waiting for nearly a month and they cost $100.

thanks!
I went through the same thing, WIth Chrysler on their Jeep JK the same lug nuts on the stock 16" steelies are the same acorn lugnuts as the 17" Alloys. I confirmed this with the parts dept. After switching out my rims, I used the same Chrysler Acorn Lug Nuts, been working fine, no issues.

I know what you mean about Toyota, they actually had lawsuits about their steel spares tire rims, on their alloy equipped 4th generation 2006 4 Runner suv's. The spare tires were comming off , few people have gotten injured. They had to equip their 4 runners with a special spare tire package containing different lug nuts, to use when you had a flat tire.

No need to worry about that with our JK Jeeps. Hope this helps.

:blunt: SLIM_SNOOPY :blunt:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
greese said:
I appreciate everyone's input to this. Thanks.
I believe the appropriate term for the two different styles of lugs is "hub centric" and "lug centric" , basically on hub centric, the hub is used to center the wheel on the lugs, and on lug centric, the lug nuts actually has a taper at the end that fits down in the whole of the wheel to center it. Yours will work for sure, but be careful with aftermarket, i ruined a set of steelies using lug centric nuts on a hub centric aftermarket wheel when i was a young buck.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
I believe the appropriate term for the two different styles of lugs is "hub centric" and "lug centric" , basically on hub centric, the hub is used to center the wheel on the lugs, and on lug centric, the lug nuts actually has a taper at the end that fits down in the whole of the wheel to center it. Yours will work for sure, but be careful with aftermarket, i ruined a set of steelies using lug centric nuts on a hub centric aftermarket wheel when i was a young buck.
I knew there was a term for that!!! thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.