Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch just went and I've heard Luke is the way to go is there any benefit. My jeep is a 32000 4.0 with 35's with a 44 rear and stock front. I'm not sure what I have for gears but if I'm on the highway and was to be in 5th goiing 65 it would be at 2000 rpm. Do I really need a new flywheel. My mechanic said because of the tires the springs in the clutch are taking a beating? Any help would be appreciated thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
There's no real benefit to Luk's ProGold kit besides being a bit noisier in a TJ. I would (and did) go with the standard Luk kit which should be good for >200K miles.

Caution that some Luk kits have recently shown up with a cheaper throwout bearing with more plastic content than I would be comfortable with. Not all kits but a few have.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks that's what I thought should I get a new flywheel? And my manifold is leaking but I have the 2000day with two pre cats do I need to buy the two piece manifold? I don't know what to get I researched and can't find anything.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,629 Posts
A new flywheel is rarely needed. At the most, if any glazing is present on its surface, a bit of sanding with a mild sandpaper or emory cloth will take it off. Do not have the flywheel resurfaced or machined which is per the Factory Service Manual.

You really need to stay with the two precats and 2-piece manifold if that's what your Jeep has now. The computer and its smog system is programmed to require everything to be there including all the 02 sensors to keep the engine running right with the correct air/fuel mixture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts