Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with fall now in full force I am needing to use my heat in the mornings a bit and i noticed that on the driver's side it does not get very hot. A lot less hot than last winter when I first purchased my 2013 JK. I checked coolant levels and they are good, so assuming it is either heating core or HVAC system further up (down?) the line.

Did some research and I keep seeing the words "warranty" come up which I am past. Curious as to whether this is an easy fix for an intermediate mechanic like myself or if I should bite the bullet and take it to a dealership? Any recalls on heating core or the HVAC system in these things I am not aware of? Searching for heating recalls for the JK did not give any results.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 2012 that I had almost a year. The heat cycles from cool to warm. The temp gauge on the dash rises pretty quick. I read on casting sand in the heater on some models. It does warm up good once down the road for a bit. Did not see anything in the overflow and want to flush the system. But I would like to know about if this is normal, recalls or such also.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If you're getting heat on one side and not as much on the other it's most likely a blend door issue.

·
Registered
348 Posts
On my 12, they replaced the heater core, radiator, etc. first year. It's been in at least 1x (at most 3x) every winter since. And it's probably gonna go back again.

I keep telling them blend doors. They keep flushing the system. I tell them that they've been doing this 4 yrs now, and it doesnt FIX anything! I'd venture to guess that since mine sits outside... they may leave it inside the shop when it "starts working" again. So temps may be effecting the door function.

Maybe tomorrow - I keep meaning to snake a camera up the vents to see if I can spot something not working right.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having the same issue with my '12. Have brought it in twice already to get it fixed. They flushed replaced radiator fluid, but there was definitely sludge build up. Last fixed in Dec 2015. The problem is, once they flush it, it works for a little while, then goes right back to blowing cold on the driver side and lukewarm on the passenger side. I did some research and read that seems to be a manufacture problem when they were casting. They didn't clean properly and sand keeps building up. I called Chrysler about the issue because I am now over the basic warranty. However, in looking at the powertrain warranty(5 year/100K mi), it seems this should be covered since its the core plugs that caused the issue and it's clearly a defect in parts and workmanship. I have opened a case and waiting to hear back once they speak to the dealership. I am definitely going to fight for them to pay for it. There is a Star Case on this S1207000008, but not sure how helpful that will be.

Kristen
--------------

Boston, MA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any update on this situation? I am currently dealing with the same situation and have been researching if Chrysler will pay for the replacements. I have not found anything.
thanx
Zoe

I have been having the same issue with my '12. Have brought it in twice already to get it fixed. They flushed replaced radiator fluid, but there was definitely sludge build up. Last fixed in Dec 2015. The problem is, once they flush it, it works for a little while, then goes right back to blowing cold on the driver side and lukewarm on the passenger side. I did some research and read that seems to be a manufacture problem when they were casting. They didn't clean properly and sand keeps building up. I called Chrysler about the issue because I am now over the basic warranty. However, in looking at the powertrain warranty(5 year/100K mi), it seems this should be covered since its the core plugs that caused the issue and it's clearly a defect in parts and workmanship. I have opened a case and waiting to hear back once they speak to the dealership. I am definitely going to fight for them to pay for it. There is a Star Case on this S1207000008, but not sure how helpful that will be.

Kristen
--------------

Boston, MA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts