Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
What rear axle do you have?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
There is no conflict with running a lunch box locker at all in an 8.8. Now if you had said D35 I would've told you just to skip it all together. :D

I run lock-rites in both my 44 and 30 and I am plenty happy with them. The ratcheting noise while turning doesn't bother me one bit and they perform great on the trail.

Do you daily drive your rig? Or is it just a trail rig? I only ask because there is a mini-spool for the 8.8 that is very inexpensive compared to ANY other locker on the market. It's beefy as hell too. I wouldn't necessarily recommend any type of spool for a DD rig though. You will just wear out tires like nobody's business.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im gonna be running 37" boggers soon, i already have the 4.88 gears in, it would be a shame if i dont lock it up but i dont want to spend a fortune on OX lockers. If it was a trail rig i would have welded the spider gears by now. i drive it daily, but you have made me feel better now i dont have to shop for a selectable locker. Do you recomend lockrite over all other lunchbox brands or is aussielocker good too?

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
I run lock-rites in both my 44 and 30 and I am plenty happy with them. The ratcheting noise while turning doesn't bother me one bit and they perform great on the trail.
is your jeep a DD...?
is that setup ok in the winter when there is snow on the roads?

my parents told me to buy me some jeep parts (up to 500$) when i´ve birthday in august and i think of buying two aussies.

but many people here in germany warned me and said that this setup wouldn´t be good in winterin a DD.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You have to understand that winter, in AZ, is like 60 degrees, on a chilly day. Being in the desert, is not the same as being above hell zone.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
is your jeep a DD...?
is that setup ok in the winter when there is snow on the roads?

my parents told me to buy me some jeep parts (up to 500$) when i´ve birthday in august and i think of buying two aussies.

but many people here in germany warned me and said that this setup wouldn´t be good in winterin a DD.
As others have said I do live in the desert so it doesn't affect me, but if I did live in a snowy place then I would have a different opinion. On snowy roads in 4wd lunch box lockers are not really the optimal solution. Scuba is in Florida so they don't really have to worry about that either.

thats cold for us peps in AZ
seriously
Damn right 60 is cold. :D That's when I put my doors on. :D

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I had a lunch box in the rear of the mj never again would I put a lunch box locker in the rear it mad it to the trail and I had to drive home in front wheel drive

some people don't have a problem with it but most every body I know wont put one in the rear again

I'm running a full spool in the back of my rig and its a daily driver
-------------------------------------------------------------
this is from jp. about the spool and the lunch box locker

Spool
Overview: A spool is just a solid chunk of metal that connects your axleshafts together permanently and forever. A mini-spool drops inside your factory carrier and replaces the spider gears. A full spool replaces your existing carrier and is what you should run, if possible. Don't run a spool in the front 'cause you aint a gonna be able to turn; they're for rear applications only.

Street:**
A spool is noticeable on the street when cornering sharply, but is very predictable, and we actually prefer one in the rear of a short-wheelbase vehicle over an automatic locker. Since there's never any loading or unloading, you don't get the jerking or banging associated with automatic lockers. It will increase your turning radius somewhat, and you'll notice your rear tires will scrub and chirp around corners.

Off-road:*****
Since a spool never unlocks, it's extremely predictable off-road. And since it's a solid chunk of metal, we've never been able to harm one. We haven't really found the loss of turning radius to be a hindrance. That's what Reverse is for. We hypothesize that a spool is actually easier on axleshafts off-road because there's never any sudden loading or unloading. Power is always evenly distributed to both shafts, and traction is generally phenomenal.
Good: Inexpensive, simple, lightweight, and strong.
Bad: Tires will chirp when turning on pavement, tire wear is increased, and the turning radius increased. Really only for a rear-axle application

Lunchbox Lockers
There are tons of drop-in lockers designed to replace your factory differential gears. We've used several with generally poor results. While we consider lunchbox lockers a good beginner or temporary locker, we wouldn't count on one as a permanent modification. Many of the companies that make lunchbox lockers also make full-case lockers, so if you've got the money, step up to the plate. Their operation and installation are similar enough that we'll lump their performance into one general category, then give more detailed descriptions below.

Overview: Replacement for spider gears that fits inside stock differential carrier. Geared teeth and springs unload when coasting and lock under power.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Street:*
Act like normal automatic locker, so normal jerks and banging associated with automatic lockers apply.

Off-road:***
Locker-like traction when working properly, but gear teeth are susceptible to wear and failure. When worn, it may not lock or unlock smoothly. When the unit fails to lock, it will leave you with no drive in that axle. Very susceptible to damage from axleshaft failure, and strength of stock carrier can be a factor.

Good: Inexpensive, easy installation, no gear setup required. Can be used in front and rear applications.

Bad: Generally weaker than full-case counterparts, wear quicker, strength limited to stock carrier.

Notes: Powertrax Lock-Right: Easy installation. Doesn't work well with short wheelbases or manual trannies. With hard use, the teeth will wear and round off on edges for weird engagement/disengagement. Pins that hold locker halves together can shear under extreme shock load. Good factory warranty service.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Running a spool on the road is great if you want to wear out your tires probably 40% faster. :D

Have I ever seen a lunch box break? Yeah. Is a full case locker or auto locker better? Yeah. I don't doubt your experience one bit Mr. 4x4, But for the cost compared to what you get I think a lunch box style locker works quite well.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
for the money its good for the front the full spool that I have was cheaper than the lunch box locker was

as for tire wear I havent noticed them where any faster then they would with a detroit
Ive got 25,000 miles on the xterrains and I,ve still got half of the tire tread left

I've seen a lunch box locker last about a year in the rear before they needed replaced
but the aussie locker is the only one I would trust to put in the rear
however in the front axle Ive seen the lunch box locker live for years

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I've seen a lunch box locker last about a year in the rear before they needed replaced
but the aussie locker is the only one I would trust to put in the rear
however in the front axle Ive seen the lunch box locker live for years
My rear lock-rite has been wheeled regularly in my rig for 3 years and I bought it used at that time. It's never slipped on me once (knock on wood) :D

However I will say that a spool will probably be my next step in it. :D

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
My rear lock-rite has been wheeled regularly in my rig for 3 years and I bought it used at that time. It's never slipped on me once (knock on wood) :D

However I will say that a spool will probably be my next step in it. :D
now I know of some one else thats had good luck with a lunch box locker in the back axle

my next step is an arb just they are so much money

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
You have to understand that winter, in AZ, is like 60 degrees, on a chilly day. Being in the desert, is not the same as being above hell zone.
Give us a little credit, it gets colder than that in Phoenix. And here in Payson, it snows once in a while :p

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I ran a detroit in the rear on a dd for a while, the only issue's I had where on the highway when I had to speed up, or down shift etc, the jeep would start to change lanes on its own do to the locker. Also at slow speed on certain tight turns it would unload and you would think a mortor shell just landed. I don't think it would be as bad with the lockright. I would be more worried with the 37's boggers and how they handle in say rain if I had to panic stop, or if I needed to upgrade the brakes for them.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
As far as winter driving is concerned, I guess it depends on what kind of a driver you are. With both wheels having power under acceleration it is definately going to lighten up the rear end and it will come around on you much easier. I know guys that run lockers in the snow and do just fine. I also know a guy that has welded the spider gears front and rear and drives it daily. Just be careful until you get used to how it is going to handle and you should be fine.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think im gona go lunchbox front and rear then thanks for all the input. Snow is not a concern of mine down here in miami. I might consider differently if i move to germany though.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts