Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking @ getting a set of M/Ts for the truck. I've been surfing around the 'net & haven't been able to find anything negative about the tires. If you have experience w/ any of the listed style(s), Please list any pros or cons.

I know that they are loud & leave something to be desired when on wet pavement.

I've run a few sets the original tread pattern BFG M/Ts up until the KM2 redesign. Like others I'm not impressed w/ the KM2 pattern. They don't look a lot different than the A/Ts.

I've also run Gumbo Monster Mudders in the 80s so I've got a lot of miles under my belt w/ them.

Cooper Discoverer MTP

Cooper Discover STT

Cooper Discover STT Pro

Fierce Attitude M/T

Firestone Destination M/T

General Grabber X3

Hercules Trail Digger M/T

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3

Mickey Thompson Deegan 38

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
I have HEARD of problems w/ this tire from a couple of separate people that had no experience w/ the tire. Is there anything to be concerned w/? I have compared the weights of them compared to other tires in my list & they are approx' 10# heavier.

Pro Comp Xtreme M/T 2

Toyo Open Country M/T

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Kanati and Cenntenial tires are both made by GreenBall and they both offer MT Kanati Mud Hog and Cenntenial Dirt Commander.

The kanati Mud Hogs are available at Sams club and the guys at JCR use them on their budget builds.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have Fierce Attitude M/T's on my rig. No complaints and have been great with each season that we get here in Jersey. Plus they are reasonable in price and weight.

Reactions: revrnd

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kanati and Cenntenial tires are both made by GreenBall and they both offer MT Kanati Mud Hog and Cenntenial Dirt Commander.

The kanati Mud Hogs are available at Sams club and the guys at JCR use them on their budget builds.
Sam's Club isn't in Canada (though Wallymart is). I'm not really interested in having tires shipped from the States.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Fierce Attitude M/T's on my rig. No complaints and have been great with each season that we get here in Jersey. Plus they are reasonable in price and weight.
I've seen a few Jeeps w/ the Attitudes on them here in the nearest city. Saw another JKU today running Trail Grapplers today. Unfortunately it was in a parking lot & nobody was in it to talk to about the tires :-(

R

·
0 Posts
Love my Toyo MTs. Mine are 10 ply (37/13.50/17) and do great in the snow, offroad, and on pavement are quiet. I used to run the KO2. The Toyo MTs are one of the heaviest tires but they are tough, very quiet, good tread life, etc. Tire noise can be opinionated, but I have driven a few different kinds and like them a lot. Check out the Ridge Grappler by Nitto as well, seems to be the "new wave" and is an awesome all around tire as well.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire noise can be opinionated, but I have driven a few different kinds
I've been running 'mud tires' since '81, so the noise isn't unknown to me. It's not like I've never owned a 4x4, bought a Jeep & then installed the 'gnarliest' tires on it to replace the OEM tires, only to complain about the noise.

(I know it's an annoying song but bear w/ me LOL)

From 3:20 to 3:55 the drone in the background reminds me of my brother's truck approaching our house when he was running 44s on it.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGXpDhNAO1Y

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Cooper are quality American made tires. Cooper also makes Mickey Thompson. Any of those will perform well.

I currently have the Pro Comp Xtreme MT2. They are quiet, stay balanced, and ride smooth. They are the worst tire I have owned in winter conditions however.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
Are these going on a TRUCK or JEEP?

I would take a serious look at the Mickey Thompson ATZ p3, it's a hybrid between a MT & AT, there's more siping, good voids, excellent traction. A buddy I wheel with runs them on his Jeep and Tow Rig. I've been very impressed with them on the trail (rocks) and he's say they are great on the truck too.

I run the Mickey Thompson MTZ on my Jeep. Excellent tire, bombproof sidewalls, outstanding flex and they hook up extremely well on everything. The only place I see them suffer in in packed snow and ice. I had the last set siped and that helped tremendously, even saw improved traction on wet rocks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are for my truck. I posted on a GM pickup forum that I'm on , but no replies. Much more info here in a day.

Checking the Kanati & Centennial sites & they aren't any dealers in Canada.

Whatever I decide on getting will be on the factory alum' rims. I'm putting the OEM Firestones on steel rims for the winter, so the snow performance of the tire is a non issue.

Most of the off road conditions around here are mud w/ slick leaves. I'm looking @ the M/Ts over an A/T because of the 'open' tread pattern that will clear. We don't have a lot of 'rock crawling' on our forest access trails.

The young lad that has 1 of my previous trucks has the Deegan M/Ts on it. He runs them for 3 seasons & then goes to a narrower tire & steelies for the winter. I'll ask him the next time I see him how they're holding up.

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

·
Super Moderator
9,597 Posts
They are for my truck. I posted on a GM pickup forum that I'm on , but no replies. Much more info here in a day. Checking the Kanati & Centennial sites & they aren't any dealers in Canada. Whatever I decide on getting will be on the factory alum' rims. I'm putting the OEM Firestones on steel rims for the winter, so the snow performance of the tire is a non issue. Most of the off road conditions around here are mud w/ slick leaves. I'm looking @ the M/Ts over an A/T because of the 'open' tread pattern that will clear. We don't have a lot of 'rock crawling' on our forest access trails. The young lad that has 1 of my previous trucks has the Deegan M/Ts on it. He runs them for 3 seasons & then goes to a narrower tire & steelies for the winter. I'll ask him the next time I see him how they're holding up. Thanks for the replies so far guys.
I run the Cooper AT/W on my F350, DRW, (2wd) tow rig here in the Colorado Rockies. They are Coopers year round Snow tire, 50K mileage warranty. I've been very impressed with their wear, relatively quiet and their snow traction has been extremely impressive! I tow an 7k trailer and a 10K stock trailer and they perform very well. Having a 2 WD in the Rockies is not ideal but these tires have definitely made up the difference for not having 4wd.

Just another option for you.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have bought lots of Cooper tires and really like them. The Hercules Trail Digger tires are good also, typically a little less expensive than the Cooper's. I would not run the Deegan 38's.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have bought lots of Cooper tires and really like them. The Hercules Trail Digger tires are good also, typically a little less expensive than the Cooper's. I would not run the Deegan 38's.
Any reason why you wouldn't run the Deegans?

I'll comment on a tire I used in the past, Kumho Mud Kings. I had a set back in the '90s on a K1500. They were bought because they were about a hundred bucks (CDN) cheaper than the BFG M/Ts of the same size & looked to have a similar tread. The Kumhos were worn out in about a year & a half. I had never had a tire wear out that quickly. Usually I got about 45,000 miles on a set of the BFGs (about 3 years).

Not sure if they still offering it or not.

I've had others concur on this too about staying away from the Kumho brand (on another thread here).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Cooper Discoverer MTP 265/70r17

I run discoverers on the JK and I havent had them long and tested them off road but for freeway and road driving they were alot quieter than the stock BF's and smoother. Also aesthetically they look mean on the JK. Only seem to hear them and feel them a little coming to a slow stop. Price was ok but coming from a small car to a JK I wasnt expecting to get away with paying $50 bucks a tire.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Parked near a (cough) F150 that had the Toyos on it the other day. Never spotted the owner. In hindsight I should've left a note under his wiper to ask them how they worked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts