Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of fluid do you guys use I saw something that says not to use Gl5 trans is hard to shift when it's cold

·
Registered
36 Posts
Actual cause it erodes the brass fittings... go to YouTube and search for the "jeep solid" channel. That guys has tons of videos including one about M/T oil ��

·
Registered
36 Posts
No prob man. Dude has great vids for us non-professional wrenches who love to do their own work. Also just a friendly fyi, exhaust the search feature before posting and you wont be ignored for so long :)

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
That video is a good explanation. GL5 gear oil is usually the preferred. GL3 is the stuff that wears brass fittings. 10W-30 motor oil is also acceptable, and is what I use.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
The thing I crossed out said "GL-5." Don't see anything for your transmission.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
With the BA10 there's no bronze in the case. The synchro rings are aluminum and the bearings are steel so you don't have to be concerned like with the AX5 and AX15 with GL5. Chrysler's updated spec. for the AX15 and AX5 is 10W30 motor oil because they didn't want an issue as a result of the synchros being made out of "yellow metals". With the old GL5 gear oils there were problems. You'll find that most if not all synthetic 75W90 gear oil is yellow metals safe as indicated on the bottle. Some owners use synthetic 10W30 motor oil. Having said that, I use synthetic 75W90 in my AX15 that is specifically "yellow metals safe". Since my AX15 shifts great with it I'm not going to motor oil (10W30), conventional or synthetic. I think you would get a better result using synthetic with either. It's your choice. This is additional info: http://wranglerspecs.weebly.com/yj-87-95.html
The only info. I see that isn't accurate is that the AX15 was used in YJ's starting with late 89 production with the 4.2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts