Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some 38x13.50r17 Yokohama Geolanders mounted and balanced. I love how they ride, but while doing the standard tire chalk test, I've noticed even at 22 PSI, the outside of the contact patch on the tire still shows chalk, which indicates the site is overinflated. This is a load range C tire. My old Mickey Thompson 37" MTZs were perfectly inflated at 28-29 PSI, so I'm just curious as to what's going on.

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Are those monsters mounted on stock Willys rims?

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
On a tire that wide, it's going to be difficult to do a good chalk test.

Id put them around 30 psi and see how it drives.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wheel width is also a factor, if that is in fact a stock wheel then you're going to have a hard time with getting them to run completely flat for a chalk test. I'd go with kjeeper on his measurements and see what you get for pressure. Then maybe add a few pounds.

My Toyo AT2s left about 1/2 an inch at 27 lbs but the they drive way better at 32 lbs. They're wearing good after 15k miles.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Wheel width is also a factor, if that is in fact a stock wheel then you're going to have a hard time with getting them to run completely flat for a chalk test. I'd go with kjeeper on his measurements and see what you get for pressure. Then maybe add a few pounds.

My Toyo AT2s left about 1/2 an inch at 27 lbs but the they drive way better at 32 lbs. They're wearing good after 15k miles.
Exactly what I was getting at by asking if OEM Willy's rims. Those tires will never flatten out under proper pressure.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wheel width is also a factor, if that is in fact a stock wheel then you're going to have a hard time with getting them to run completely flat for a chalk test. I'd go with kjeeper on his measurements and see what you get for pressure. Then maybe add a few pounds. My Toyo AT2s left about 1/2 an inch at 27 lbs but the they drive way better at 32 lbs. They're wearing good after 15k miles.
Ok, sounds great. I'll do just that. Thanks a lot!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts