Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been given a hard time in the past for my tires that protrude past the fenders but have never been told it will fail until MA installed their new inspection stations. I presume this will be an issue for many people. Anyway I am a bit irritated because when I tell the inspectors that MA law grants an exemption for 4wd vehicles they immediately tell me I’m wrong. Then I try to show them the law and they wont look. What do you all think the law says? I have attached Mass general law and mass CMR which are both in agreeable 4WD are granted an exemption.

MGL Chapter 19 Section 90
“Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use”

540 CMR 4.04
“Every passenger motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR) , except four wheel drive vehicles which are equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.”

One year the station printed out the page in their book and it had the exact same statement as 540 CMR but was literally missing just the part about four wheel drive vehicles!!!!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well.............. I will have printouts of both in my glovebox for my next inspection and will be interested to see how they react.... My big decision will be whether to get the inspection done at my regular spot, where they know me, or at the dealership.............

So I have been given a hard time in the past for my tires that protrude past the fenders but have never been told it will fail until MA installed their new inspection stations. I presume this will be an issue for many people. Anyway I am a bit irritated because when I tell the inspectors that MA law grants an exemption for 4wd vehicles they immediately tell me I’m wrong. Then I try to show them the law and they wont look. What do you all think the law says? I have attached Mass general law and mass CMR which are both in agreeable 4WD are granted an exemption.

MGL Chapter 19 Section 90
“Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use”

540 CMR 4.04
“Every passenger motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR) , except four wheel drive vehicles which are equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.”

One year the station printed out the page in their book and it had the exact same statement as 540 CMR but was literally missing just the part about four wheel drive vehicles!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
This is why I just let my Jeep look ridiculous for an hour and swap the stock tires back on for inspection. It pains me but I rather just play the game than fight with the morons who don't know the laws...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yeah but not all of us have that option. My 285/70/17's are on my stock (and only) set of wheels. I suppose I could take the time and effort to remove the wheel adapters, but then would have to deal with re-loctite the adapters and I find that more than I'm willing to deal with. And without the adapters, the 70's may still end up slightly outside the fenders!

Our government at it's finest. :atomic:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yeah but not all of us have that option. My 285/70/17's are on my stock (and only) set of wheels. I suppose I could take the time and effort to remove the wheel adapters, but then would have to deal with re-loctite the adapters and I find that more than I'm willing to deal with. And without the adapters, the 70's may still end up slightly outside the fenders!

Our government at it's finest. :atomic:
Mine are on aftermarket wheels with a -12mm offset and they passed inspection no problem earlier this month. Stock fender flares. The only thing they gave me a hard time about was the frame around my front license plate, but we just took it of and it was fine.

If you want to know what service station I went to PM me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well.............. I will have printouts of both in my glovebox for my next inspection and will be interested to see how they react.... My big decision will be whether to get the inspection done at my regular spot, where they know me, or at the dealership.............
in a similar boat, i havent upgraded yet but i have a local place ive been going to for years would hate to have to go to dealer

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ask them to look in the "book" they use to dictate pass/fail. The exception is not evident on the page they would normally refer to but it IS in the book. The book I looked in at a station yesterday had it on page 13.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ask them to look in the "book" they use to dictate pass/fail. The exception is not evident on the page they would normally refer to but it IS in the book. The book I looked in at a station yesterday had it on page 13.
Does anyone have a link to this book? I would be curious to take a look myself. Seems like whoever makes the book doesn't necessarily follow the law.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't know if it is online, Mike. The private company the state hired provides it in print to the inspection stations.
Thanks for the info. It is interesting you say the state hires a private company to run the inspections. Seems likely this is where the discrepancy between the law and the inspection manual would occur.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Never had a problem in Sudbury.

Edit: I just read the new laws! Crazy! I have 285s on my 4" backspaced wheels - I guess I will have to measure. I have to have mine done in June, but I might head to AZ then which has no inspection laws besides emissions.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Quick update....... Just got my inspection sticker. 33" Duratracs on stock WW wheels with 1.75" wheel adapters. Tires protrude out ~~1.5" from the fenders. Inspector never gave it a second look. Was no problem at all.

·
Commercial Member
831 Posts
I just failed my inspection for the tires sticking out beyond the flares on Saturday. I was told the real issue is that the state required cameras to be installed in the bays for 2018. These cameras will send details to the state for each inspection. That is why these stations can no longer just let it go or say the vehicle came in with smaller tires for the inspection.

I just researched those guidelines myself today and was going to ask the inspector next weekend about it. If not, hopefully the MA Gov will respond to an email. Not sure what Plan B or C may be yet.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I don't get it. My inspector uploaded a bunch of photos when doing my inspection. The tires sticking out beyond the fenders never came up at all. Seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the rules for 4x4's. :censored:

I just failed my inspection for the tires sticking out beyond the flares on Saturday. I was told the real issue is that the state required cameras to be installed in the bays for 2018. These cameras will send details to the state for each inspection. That is why these stations can no longer just let it go or say the vehicle came in with smaller tires for the inspection.

I just researched those guidelines myself today and was going to ask the inspector next weekend about it. If not, hopefully the MA Gov will respond to an email. Not sure what Plan B or C may be yet.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
:drinks: My Wrangler passed yesterday at the place I have been going to for years. My tires stick out a pretty good bit. I was very happy I got my sticker! :awesome:

·
Registered
301 Posts
unfortunately it all depends where you go. Some shops are beyond terrified of the new laws and cameras and getting their license yanked so they will fail anything for anything close to what they think is an offense. Beyond ridiculous waste of money by the state to crack down on people modifying their vehicles in manners that don't effect safety

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Curious if you got anywhere on this? My dads JK passed no problem with the same size tires I have on my TJ. Granted his fenders cover slightly more of the tire.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have 2 stations that I go to, right across the street from each other. The first station is where I always take my cars for work and he said straight up "Ill fail you because your tires stick out too far. Id like to pass you but I don't want my license getting pulled. Take it across the street"
I took it across the street and the dude goes, "cool Jeep. Heres your sticker"

Even with the new cameras, I guess its still varies where you go

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Simply because they all don't take the time to read and understand the laws..... :pullinghair:

I have 2 stations that I go to, right across the street from each other. The first station is where I always take my cars for work and he said straight up "Ill fail you because your tires stick out too far. Id like to pass you but I don't want my license getting pulled. Take it across the street"
I took it across the street and the dude goes, "cool Jeep. Heres your sticker"

Even with the new cameras, I guess its still varies where you go

1 - 20 of 48 Posts