Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wait till they start giving you guys shit about lift height. You can't be above 2" from factory height or it fails in mass also. That's how they look at it. There's a formula you can use to get more lift depending on vehicle but most shops will fail for lift and tires in mass now. Last year tires could come out an inch, now it's no poke. But yet dump trucks don't need a cover on beds full of loose stone and can huck stones down the road and you can put stacks in the bed of a diesel and no one says anything. Commy mass laws. I've had more issues with mom and pop shops than dealers with this. Most dealers sell built jeeps anymore too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Not sure you're correct here:

MGL Chapter 19 Section 90
“Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use”

Last year tires could come out an inch, now it's no poke.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Not sure you're correct here:

MGL Chapter 19 Section 90

“Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, no passenger motor vehicle shall be operated on any way if such vehicle has the side wall or thread of any tire projecting outward beyond the outer portion of the fender or side body panel, unless such vehicle is equipped with four-wheel drive or is otherwise modified and intended for off-the-way use”

Believe that means from the factory, oem parts. Just what I've been told and experienced with my rigs. The local police are cool, the stateys get a hard on pulling people over for inspection crap. That means the vehicle isn't your main on road vehicle, like ag plates essentially. Can be on road, just to travel to where you are going. Think most just enforce it when they are bored

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Read the law again. "IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE" which of course all wranglers are, right from the factory.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saved my oem tires and rims and I only went 2.5" lift. So tossing tires back on and adding some sand bags into the the rear seat are should put me in the no bubbles no troubles area for my inspection. Hopefully police local or state dont become to much of a hassle. Mines only 2" lift and 2" tires over stock thats sounds like its legal by the law but we all know that does not mean they will interpret it the same way. That can change from officer to officer and from town to town.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I have seen the book that the inspection stations are given and the four wheel drive exemption phrase is absent. This means whoever created the guidelines for inspection stations deliberately removed that phrase.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have seen the book that the inspection stations are given and the four wheel drive exemption phrase is absent. This means whoever created the guidelines for inspection stations deliberately removed that phrase.
and unless you want to get in an expensive and drawn out legal battle, this is all that matters, the shop's interpretation of the rules.

they're being threatened with serious loss of business and money already invested in these new camera setups (which the state made them pay for) so a big percentage of all the shops will not be taking any chances at least for a period of time while they feel out the new enviroment

·
Registered
301 Posts
I saved my oem tires and rims and I only went 2.5" lift. So tossing tires back on and adding some sand bags into the the rear seat are should put me in the no bubbles no troubles area for my inspection. Hopefully police local or state dont become to much of a hassle. Mines only 2" lift and 2" tires over stock thats sounds like its legal by the law but we all know that does not mean they will interpret it the same way. That can change from officer to officer and from town to town.
no law enforcement will give you a hard time over a 2.5" lift as long as your sticker is good

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I believe that MA law trumps all. The other option would be to add a piece to
the fenders that could be removed later. This way the inspection station gets to follow their procedure and they are not having to interpret the law. A few holes where you could attach the extension with those plastic push pins that hold a lot of automotive parts together. After the inspection a few snips with some cutters and the extensions could be retired until next year.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I made 2 phone calls. First said he couldn't help me and second said come down and let me see it. I showed up and he said "Oh... It's not that big." "I've seen stock Rubicons almost as tall." I'm on 37 x 13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers and 4.5" RK lift. Certainly wasn't going to argue with the guy. Zip tied my license plate to the grill and 10 minutes later had my sticker.

So call around. There are guys who are friendly.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I purchased a used 2003 Ford Excursion at Rodman Ford about 10 years ago that had been owned by NE Patriots DE Richard Seymour. All of the windows had been tinted so dark that they gave me a sticker but told me not to bring it back for a sticker in the future. I have since taken it to my local shop and they have given it a sticker every year. They even passed it one year telling me that my e brake was not right and that I should get it fixed.

So I agree that going some place where you are known and have done business before is a definite bonus. The lift issue might be tough but I still think that you can beat the fender issue using temporary means. Some temporary plastic flares that cover your tires that could be clipped or even bolted to your existing fenders should get you a sticker and then easily removed until next year.

All MA members should send a letter or email to the RMV stipulating that the inspection station books have omitted the 4 wd portion of the MA law and that failing a Jeep for that reason violates MA law as written.

Reactions: mattyw

·
Registered
665 Posts
With 1.5" front lift and tires that lift me half an inch, I'm right at the technical height limit. Of course, for inspection, the stock tires go back on anyways, just to keep the inspection guys from getting nervous. If you're raised 3" above stock, how about air down to 10 pounds before pulling in the garage. Hahaha

·
Registered
1 Posts
My tires stick out considerably with my wheel spacers AND flat style fender flares BUT I came up with an ingenious idea!!! I actually saved my factory plastic fenders, mounted cloth wrapped magnets under them, and I stick them to my new metal flares for the inspection pictures and remove them right after! No tools, no time, just magnets.

·
Registered
732 Posts
What a pain. Hope those laws don’t migrate west to NY.

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
As Clint Eastwood has said, one must improvise..:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I have not seemed to have any issues lately. Maybe the initial change of laws spooked people but they are now becoming more lax again. They will occasionally mention that if they were any wider it would be a problem but the 2ish inches doesn't seem to raise any red flags anymore.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts