Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I got rejected Friday. I have Federal Couragia 33x12.5x15. They are on Black Rock steel rims and have 3.75" backspacing. I replaced Rubicon flares in the rear, which were already wider than stock to a pair, with a pair of Xenon rear flares that are 7"!

Went to a shop that was down the street from a Jeep seller, where I got mine, because "they know Jeep inspections". Three years with the same tires, no problem. Last year inspector made a comment about the tires being on the bubble.

This year, the TJ gets wheeled out front with the Scarlet Letter! "R" for rejection... I had no chance to discuss.

So on go a set of 31x10.5 borrowed from a friend. Back for re-inspection Monday.

Nothing wrong with 31x10.5 tires, but with 7 inch flares over the back and Rubicon flares over the front... But with the flares and body lift, it just aint right! Looks like a Shepard with a Poodle cut. Back to normal Monday after work.

Passed: Year 1 - Stock Rubicon Flares (already 1" wider than stock TJ):

Passed: Year 2 - Xenon 7" flares replaced Rubicon flares
Failed: Year 3 - Same Xenon 7" flares, same tires/rims

Walk of Shame: Year 3 - Inspection Shoes

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Dudes, bumping this up because it looks like the wording of the law has been updated.
From the prior wording here, dated 2017

(b) Fenders. Front and rear fenders must be in place on all vehicles manufactured after model year 1949 if such vehicles were designed and manufactured to be operated with front and rear fenders. Every passenger motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR) , except four wheel drive vehicles which are equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.

Bolding is mine, clearly shows the exception for 4wd vehicles. All is well

I was talking with my buddies about it last night after my inspection and I went to reference the law and saw from here:

(c) Fenders. Front and rear fenders must be in place on all vehicles manufactured after model year 1949 if such vehicles were designed and manufactured to be operated with front and rear fenders. Every motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR), which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.

Note the removal of the 4wd exception! Not sure when it was updated, but sometime since 2018.

So this all came from my discussion with my pals about my inspection yesterday. My wife brought my wide tire'd JK to inspection without the doors on and it passed. Ive had wide tires on my JK for 10 years and have never had a problem, including this year, at this shop, so Ill be good for another year. However, due to the change in wording, there may be fewer and fewer shops that will let it slide. May be a good idea to line up a buddy with stock tires in case you need to do the ol swaperoo

YMMV, but just beware that our 4wd exception is no more

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Dudes, bumping this up because it looks like the wording of the law has been updated.
From the prior wording here, dated 2017

(b) Fenders. Front and rear fenders must be in place on all vehicles manufactured after model year 1949 if such vehicles were designed and manufactured to be operated with front and rear fenders. Every passenger motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR) , except four wheel drive vehicles which are equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.

Bolding is mine, clearly shows the exception for 4wd vehicles. All is well

I was talking with my buddies about it last night after my inspection and I went to reference the law and saw from here:

(c) Fenders. Front and rear fenders must be in place on all vehicles manufactured after model year 1949 if such vehicles were designed and manufactured to be operated with front and rear fenders. Every motor vehicle under 10,000 lbs. (GVWR), which is equipped with tires which extend beyond the fenders or body of such vehicle shall be equipped with flaps or suitable guards to reduce such spray or splash to the rear and side.

Note the removal of the 4wd exception! Not sure when it was updated, but sometime since 2018.

So this all came from my discussion with my pals about my inspection yesterday. My wife brought my wide tire'd JK to inspection without the doors on and it passed. Ive had wide tires on my JK for 10 years and have never had a problem, including this year, at this shop, so Ill be good for another year. However, due to the change in wording, there may be fewer and fewer shops that will let it slide. May be a good idea to line up a buddy with stock tires in case you need to do the ol swaperoo

YMMV, but just beware that our 4wd exception is no more
Very interesting, thanks for the update. This makes more sense because it is inline with the inspection manual shops have reference to. But, it's too bad. I guess I will just have to keep swapping to the old tires for inspection.

I would love to hear more about when and why this change occurred.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I went to get a sticker today and the first shop turned me away due to the tires sticking out. They don't stick out much...

Does anyone know what constitutes a fender flare? Can I duck tape/zip tie some cardboard flaps? I don't care how ridiculous it looks if it gets me a sticker.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I went to get a sticker today and the first shop turned me away due to the tires sticking out. They don't stick out much...

Does anyone know what constitutes a fender flare? Can I duck tape/zip tie some cardboard flaps? I don't care how ridiculous it looks if it gets me a sticker.
Garden edging

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Never had a problem in Sudbury.

Edit: I just read the new laws! Crazy! I have 285s on my 4" backspaced wheels - I guess I will have to measure. I have to have mine done in June, but I might head to AZ then which has no inspection laws besides emissions.
There are ZERO emission inspections in AZ depending on the county you register in. Find a better county.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts