Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering 2 door Silver Sport with manual transmission ,premium soft top, 3.73 gears, A/C but what are the arguments for 1/2 doors, power everything (if getting full doors) and Alpine upgrade?

My thinking is that I can always hand crank Windows, order 1/2 doors later and retrofit a good stereo.

·
Registered
109 Posts
You got it. I thought of the same things but I don't mind hand cranking the windows, just one less electronic piece to mess up. Very happy that I went with the full doors because they are pricey if you change your mind later. As for the stereo, if radio sound is a big deal you can get a higher quality aftermarket for much less if you decide later that's what u want.

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
There's Waldo!

I was wondering where Waldo had gone on your original thread; it grew a set of legs of its own!

You will love the 2-door.

I'd get the power windows if nothing else because of other people getting in your Jeep, for any aftermarket options you may want to add later, and for resale. You can order half doors afterwards with few implications; that's not the case with power windows.

My friends with 2015+ JKs swear for the new Alpine system: it's a welcome option when driving with a softop.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm with Aldo, not to mention the only windows I ever had issues with in the past were mechanical ones.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With the wife and I splitting time in the jeep I knew I'd regret not getting power mirrors. Hands free phone was another must have for us. Heated mirrors also seemed like a really good idea.
So we ended up with a Soort S that had power windows and locks and the connectivity group.
The EVIC is a nice have, seeing the tire pressure is really nice.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My work truck has manual windows and locks. Boy is it a pain in the a$$ if you ever want to roll down the passenger window while driving. If its a doable add-on, I don't think you will ever regret going with the power.

However, the idea of 1/2 doors on a soft top has a strong appeal if you plan on dropping the top often.

·
Registered
167 Posts
To do it over again, I would go half doors and soft top. But I don't regret not getting power windows/doors because if it is that nice then I just take the doors off. I was able to put that money into much better upgrades and I have one less thing to worry about breaking or getting messed up when the inevitable rain showers come from nowhere. I rarely lock my JK but if I did then power locks would have had to be a mandatory.

And save yourself a lot of money, and get a better sound, by doing the head unit and speaker replacements. For about $1000 you can end up with a much nicer head unit, speakers all-around, a sub, backup camera and even a forward-facing camera (I use it to peer over ledges while off-road).

Best of luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is weather going to be a factor? i often wished I had full doors and regular windows with my YJ. I did live in the snow belt though!
I looked at ordering my 2016 with half doors but than you cant get color matched fenders.
I found that buying stock looking half doors aftermarket was very expensive and color matching them I'm sure would be difficult.
Just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Really comes down to intended use.

1/2 doors are awesome for a trail or hobby vehicle. But they get old fast if your daily driving it to or for work.

My kid runs a half door YJ just yo Highschool and we ended up getting uppers with hard Glass sliders.

Best bet would be to have both - you should look at 1/2 and full door aftermarket options and decide which is most feasible? Then get the other factory doors on the new jeep.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Power windows and locks are a must if you get full doors, but if it is only coming out in nicer weather the half doors are super nice. If you get the full doors with power then you can add (if you will ever use them) power locks to the half doors if you go OEM.

Glad to see you picked the 6 speed, though I hear the 5-speed auto is much better than the old 4-speed auto.

Full doors and AC are nice during the summer when it's too hot for topless riding by the way.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
The only 'power windows failures' I've ever had, was in a couple of Cadillacs, circa 1947 model (hydraulic no less) and a mid-50s electric version.

I've actually had more failures from roll-up style windows than 'power'.

The new 5 speed auto is a marvelous combination with the new motor unless you really love your row-stick version.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I bought my JK with no power or options. I was going to modify it so I wanted to start cheap. I knew we could add power windows and we did- at 5'6" reaching over in my old TJ to roll up the window was a pain in the ass. If not dangerous sometimes. There is this misconception that removing the doors is more of a pain with power- but it's cake. Takes about 1 minute each. I would not factor that into your decision. As a DD there are times I miss power locks because of tailgate (I forget to lock it) but mirrors makes no difference. I LOVE my sleeved tube doors- but everything flies out of the vehicle. And you can't ever leave anything out. And you have to shout to be heard by your passenger on the freeway. They come out on the weekends but I don't leave them on full time.
Here is the thing about the head unit- I thought I couldn't care less. For a couple of years I didn't- its a Jeep. I don't need that stuff! But there are times I needed to call someone and couldn't (hands free is the law in CA) or needed to find a place and my phone (NAV) was dead, or I couldn't hear the pathetic base radio. Jeep or not- these are basic conveniences that are in every vehicle for a reason. .
A no-power JK will save a TON of money- because dealers have a hard time selling them you'll get a deal. But you'll have a hard time selling it later. We added a head unit and the windows ourselves- but if we had to pay someone we'd probably have spent the money we saved upfront. I grudgingly have to admit that my "no frills" determination bit me in the end.
If this is a wheeling, weekend only JK- that's different.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sorry I wasn't more clear. I mean auto on when dark, and the option for auto on with wipers. I know that my Sahara has the feature but was curious if there was an option package to have auto on headlights on a sport.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I ordered a very bare bones Sport, 6 spd, manual locks/windows, 3.73, AC, prem.top and that's it.

I have full doors and do NOT regret getting manual locks/windows. It makes it lighter, cheaper, and total non-issue putting windows down. Takes 3 seconds per window. If I want the passenger window down, I just do it before I go, or wait for a light and reach over, no problem. And a passenger is perfectly capable of rolling their own window up/down as desired.

As for 1/2 doors, well they are SUPER cool, but as some said maybe a bit tiresome if it's a daily driver dealing with soft uppers/windows. But they look amazing. Ordering OEM doors either 1/2 or full after the fact will be very very expensive though (maybe 4-5000 after paint, etc).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still debating if the Alpine is worth it or is it better to go aftermarket. Do all subwoofers take up that back storage area?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts