Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My steeringhas been pretty loose and I was reading up on hear that making an adjustment on the steering box may help it... i did slow 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn adjustments just like suggested and i test drove aroudn the parking lot after each time, i think i ended up adjusting it about a 1/2 a turn in the end... I drove to work this morning and got death wobble at about 40 mph and also there is a kncking sound when i hit the brakes now. No idea what is going on , i'm assuming its related to that adjustment, im going to try and loosen it back up tonight but just seeing if anyone has had this same problem.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
the looseness in steering is usually tierod ends..get someone to wiggle your steering wheel back and forth in the loose area while you look at your frontend to determine where the linkage stops moving..that will be your bad joint

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, im in the process of getting those parts just thought i would try this adjustment but looks like i F'ed it all up so just gonna adjust it back to where it was

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
yeah, im in the process of getting those parts just thought i would try this adjustment but looks like i F'ed it all up so just gonna adjust it back to where it was
good idea.. the gears in steering boxes get worn over time sometimes to the point that they are not adjustable..the gears will get a deep wear in the areas that contact each other and just the least amount of adjustment can throw them completely out of whack with each other..if in fact it is your steering box you will probably have to replace it or rebuild it..if you rebuild it you will see what I am talking about on the wear pattern...I would check tierod ends and ball joints first..toe in as well as tires can cause a wobble but since you have not changed that it is probably not the problem

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i went home on my lunch break to tinker with it and it was shaking sooo bad on the way home i could barely drive at twenty, made the adjustment back to where it was and drove it around, it was still shaking really bad, someone stopped me and said my tire was about to fall off. Sure enough my wheel was about to fall off. Somehow the lugs came loose, i dont know if it was because of the shaking earlier or if this was actually the cause of the whole thing but i felt like a complete idiot not checking that sooner

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good idea.. the gears in steering boxes get worn over time sometimes to the point that they are not adjustable..the gears will get a deep wear in the areas that contact each other and just the least amount of adjustment can throw them completely out of whack with each other..if in fact it is your steering box you will probably have to replace it or rebuild it..if you rebuild it you will see what I am talking about on the wear pattern...I would check tierod ends and ball joints first..toe in as well as tires can cause a wobble but since you have not changed that it is probably not the problem
How difficult is it to rebuild it? i imagine there cant be TOO much inside that box. Im no mechanic but i know my basics and can replace or fix most things other than internal stuff. Just wanna see if i'd be able to do it

·
Registered
704 Posts
I'm thinking the wheel being loose was your problem. Let us know.....I would also back the steering pre-load off about a 1/4 turn. 1/2 turn is alot.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i backed it of and it seems fine now, I've only driven it for like 15 mins since then but hopefully all good. i dont know how it got so loose though and thats whats bothering me the most. I dont want to have to tighten my lugs every time i get done driving.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
How difficult is it to rebuild it? i imagine there cant be TOO much inside that box. Im no mechanic but i know my basics and can replace or fix most things other than internal stuff. Just wanna see if i'd be able to do it
it's not difficult at all but most of the time all the parts will cost more than a complete rebuilt one

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've had lots of custom wheels, both steel and aluminum, and they will work loose on you occassionally. Always torque the lugs to whatever you are comfortable with, but at least 100 ft lbs. If your tire shop doesn't use torque sticks on their air tools, torque the wheels when you get home!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I really need to get a damn torque wrench... Man i always used to wonder how my dad ended up with so many tools, then i got this jeep, and now i understnad. Seems like i've been buyin a new tool every weekend.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If there Uni-Lug wheels get rid of those POS's...ya know the ones with those stupid washers....had them...looked great on the jeep...but dam lugs kept coming loose...i even locktited them and they still came loose...finally tookem to the scrap yard...got 60 bux for all 4 and used that to buy black AR's..no problems since...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts