Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone noticed much of a difference in sound after putting one of these on? I have a flowmaster super 44 and its not quite loud and throaty as i thought it would be. i have it coming out the back like stock. thinking maybe swapping the cat with a HI-flow cat may help. Living in a state that requires emmisions testing for the first time. NC. From SC and I usually HUSH HUSH dont have a cat.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I live in Indiana and all 3 of my vehicles don't have cats. I know the high flows give you a few extra ponies over stock but 95% of the sound is in the muffler. Try swapping out to a glass pack or 40 series. Maybe give straight pipes a shot. Cats really don't affect the sound that much. I don't think a high flow over stock would change the exhaust note enough to make a difference

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I have a custom magnaflow exhaust. including their high flow cat.

I custom built and welded a complete stainless 2.75" exhaust from the exhaust manifold back, installing a high flow cat in the mid stream. and behind it a magna flow glass pack. with a 3" tail pipe out the back in the stock location.

This set up gives my 4.2L a deep throaty sound.

But as far as the cat changing the tone, that isnt possible. A high flow cat has bigger openings which allow the exhaust to flow easier, it has nothing to do with sound.

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
But as far as the cat changing the tone, that isnt possible. A high flow cat has bigger openings which allow the exhaust to flow easier, it has nothing to do with sound.
A high flow cat will change the way the exhaust sounds. I know for a fact because when I replaced the original cat in my 97 Dodge Ram it sounded a lot better. If it wasn't for the fact that they checked for them when I was in Cali for smog checks and for safety inspections here in Missouri i'd have just gone catless.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
A high flow cat will change the way the exhaust sounds. I know for a fact because when I replaced the original cat in my 97 Dodge Ram it sounded a lot better. If it wasn't for the fact that they checked for them when I was in Cali for smog checks and for safety inspections here in Missouri i'd have just gone catless.
I would think that the reason it sounded a lot better is because the original cat was probably plugged up to some extent.

If you put 2 vehicles side by side, 1 with a standard cat on it and the other with a high flow cat on it, and everything else being the same. You will not be able to tell the difference in the 2. Thats what I am saying.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts