Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I noticed I have a split manifold, meaning 2 exhaust ports. I had my buddy that runs an exhaust shop bend me some pipes today, and run true duel 2 1/4 pipes, leaveing the cats installed near the manifold. I didn't care what kind of mufflers got wellded on, as long as they were quiet. Magnaflow makes a muffler for this application he said, duel in duel out. I said sure, why not, like a built in crossover, as long as it's quiet, go for it. Quiet is a big thing for me, cuz you never know what niebhorhood you will be in when you see that perfect retention pond. Well, Magnaflow AIN'T quiet. At 3500 RPM's my Jeep now sounds like a Honda from the Fast and the Furious! At idle, it sounds like a wet fart gone bad. He want's me to hear a Flowmaster duel in duel out first of the week. I'm thinking more like the Walker's on Grandma's Caprice.

·
Registered
857 Posts
On my truck, I bought the "quiet" flowmaster and it was louder than my buddies magnaflow on his truck.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have a Dynomax and it sounds very comparable to the 40 series flowmaster I have on my Grand Cherokee. Mind you they both have the same engine. Another great thing I hadnt realized is that its actually got a slightly higher flow rate than a flowmaster. When you hit the gas it doesnt have quite the "growl" my flowmaster does but it sounds pretty good none the less. For the $40 I paid compared to the $90 my flowmaster was Id suggest it any day.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i have a flowmaster...sounds awesome at all rpm's...

it is loud when you crank it up and when you gas it but it is unnoticeable when you aren't on the gas

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
I want a flow master but I dont want people to get angry with me on the trails. Any ideas?

~Lev

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Loud?

Iv just heard people dont like loud exhausts on the trail.

~Lev

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I've run flowmasters on several of my offroad rigs. You should be OK with a flowmaster Lev.

Oh and thanks for the laugh W4MAC. I never though of the rice burners with loud exhaust as sounding like a wet fart but they actually do at Idle.:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure the Dynomax sounds good, but I would prefer no sound at all. I think I'll put a pair of OE type on Monday. Or the universal cheapys. If they flow enuf for a 5.7 in a Caprice, then they should work as a performance muffler for me with half a 4.0 thru each. Some of the places I wanna play, you gotta be quiet.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
if you wanted QUIET as possible then why didn't u go with stock mufflers in the first place?

u can't really get quieter than stock...just wondering

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats what I wanted to do. My buddy talked me into this, saying it would be totally quiet, maybe just a bit of deeper tone. I called him again today, and as I heard everybody in his shop laughing, he said he would give me any muffs I want monday, if I can make it through the weekend. I think, he thought, this was funny. Practical jokes have been passed back and forth for a while between us. Last one was when I hung 6 ounce wheel weights on both front tires of his Metro. Guess I had it comeing.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Delta 50 is what iv been looking at.

~Lev

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've run flowmasters on several of my offroad rigs. You should be OK with a flowmaster Lev.

Oh and thanks for the laugh W4MAC. I never though of the rice burners with loud exhaust as sounding like a wet fart but they actually do at Idle.:D

gotta love the fart can exhaust :rofl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts