Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

It took a while, we tested the first magnuson supercharger about a year ago on "Sweet Pea" our commando JK.

We had some problems with the mag tune, others did too. About a month ago Magnuson sent us a new tune to beta test and look for problems.

Here is the big news, we found none.

The problems before the new tune were - surging on the highway, rough running cold start, and also generally acting weird from time to time.

We have been trying to force this new tune to hiccup but have not been able to do so. (and we didnt get it a few days ago, we've been beating on it for about a month)

Our test jeep is a manual trans, so we cant speak for the autos. But this tune annoyed us for a long time, because the mag has a fantastic power curve, the power was there, but the manners were questionable. The old tune really bugged us.

This new one is very close to flawless.

If you have a magnuson supercharger, get in touch with them and get your tune updated!

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome back dude ... Been awhile :wavey:
Thanks!

We have been testing stuff all year on our site. We did the mag install here, so i wanted to bring it full circle and share the final chapter of the testing with WF.

Also for all the people who read our stuff and bought one, I wanted them to know the wait for a correction is over.

The mag unit was always a beast, but now its a beast after finishing school.

·
Registered
32 Posts
LOL. I just had my mag updated with the new bypass actuator and tune. It's worse in some respects. By far my biggest annoyance and most likely the reason the sc gets removed is the shifting points. I have had this sc for 1 year now and have exhausted more time and effort than I care to think about trying to get my Jeep to operate at an acceptable level. Notice I said acceptable? I've given up on great or really good. I'll take acceptable at this point. It still surges, appears to be running much richer since the fumes all but burn my eyes when it is warming up (I surmise my catalytic converters will love this), and the "lift to shift" is just as prominent as it ever was. At WOT it shifts well from 1st to second at redline. 2nd to 3rd and so on it bounces off of the rev limiter for a second or so before up shifting. One positive note is that it pulls harder at the top end of the RPM range than it did before. My guess is that has something to do with it running richer and getting more fuel.

I am not bashing Magnusons product as I am pleased with the build quality and performance gains. Unfortunately living with this system is the problem. I am confident that if I owned a manual I would be satisfied with this kit. I am no mechanic, expert, authority, or anything in between but I do know my vehicle and have my theory. Quick facts. 2012 JKU, 4:88's on 37"MT's, auto. I am willing to wager that the shifting problem is a "load" issue. I have seen and read stock or stockish JK's and JKU's automatics do not experience this problem (at least to the severity I do). With the edition of weight through various mods especially larger wheels and tires that add a significant amount of resistance or "load" the CPU and / or tranny calibrations with the newly written tune(s) for running the sc are not communicating on the same page. The lift, wheels, tires, gears, etc on my Jeep were all done pre-sc and I had no issues. It's my opinion the tranny mapping needs to change to compensate for the fact that the CPU mapping has changed. Chryslers 8-bit (as I've heard it referred too) mapping is in the Stone Age and very few shops have or are even willing to try and figure it out and / or work with it. Everyone tells me if it was a Ford or Chevy no problem we can fix it. To test my theory I am going to have my local shop throw on a set of 33's and see if the shifting issue goes away or at least improves. If nothing else it will be fun doing some massive burn outs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts