Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share my experience in case you find yourself in the same situation.

Back in December my 1995 YJ's AX5 blew with 160k on it. I called a few local shops and they wanted $2000-$2500 to swap it out. I found one place that would rebuild it for $850-$900 if I pulled it for them. I decided to pull it and dropped it off. 2 weeks later they tell me its going to be $1600 due to all the damage and wear and tear. I wasn't happy about the big jump in price and went and picked it up from them... in pieces.

Started looking into junk yard prices. The local place wanted $550 with exchange. There is a company on Ebay that ships junk AX5 for about the same. I wasn't real thrilled about putting a junkyard tranny in my Jeep.

I checked out Rockauto and used the WF discount code. Pulled the trigger on their re-manufactured AX5. There was a $50 charge if it was disassembled, so I put it together. Fun learning experience. Everything was really worn out like the shop said. With tax, shipping, return shipping, and core return it cost me $925. The transmission showed up looking brand new. Other than having to clean up 2 threaded holes with a tap, I'm happy. It's been a week and she hasn't exploded yet. Came with a 2-year unlimited mile warranty. While it was out, the YJ got a new clutch, PP, TOB, flywheel, rear main seal, oil pan gasket, shift tower seals, and a small TC drop.

The trans builder is Zumbrota in MN. They also supply transmissions to Summit Racing and Autozone, but Rockauto's price was lower. We'll see how long it lasts, but I wish I would have gone this route back in December. Your results may vary.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I have to admit something here. The thread title had me a little concerned about what I was going to find in here! Haha....

Glad you got your transmission problems behind you! :thumb:
Yeah at first I thought it was gonna be a question and I was gonna suggest backpage....

·
Super Moderator
10,295 Posts
When I saw the thread title, my moderator eyes popped out. I had my finger on the delete button. Whew!! Glad it was transmission, rather than something else.
Also glad you found a source for a re-manufactured AX5. $925.00 doesn't seem like too much for a re-man transmission with a 2 year guarantee from a company like Rock Auto.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we all know who has the troubled minds now.

$925 was the OTD price.
$734.15 was the tranny cost before tax and shipping both ways.

The required fluid marked on it called for 10W-30 motor oil. Filled it with synthetic. My old trans shifted nice with Redline in it... until it blew up.

More eye candy to keep you guys focused:

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went the same route you did with the AX15 back at the end of February. Difference was, they sent me the trans first, then I sent them back mine. Loved the ease and the cost. Also did everything from back of blick to front of axle, including rebuilding the transfer case and installing a SYE to get rid of transfer case drop.

Went with the 10w30 at first, due to their recommendation, but was having problems shifting in 1st, 3rd and 5th. Thought it was just needing some help getting the towers aligned right and would take some time. Things settled into place and I can shift, but still didn't feel smooth. Drove about 500 miles or so, dropped the fluid and installed Redline MT-90. Better, but I still have problems getting into 5th and occasionally 3rd and/or stuck in 2nd. May have to reach out and test that warranty once I can get access back to the shop once things settle down.

Rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Having to keep taking my Tansmission out of gear with a screw driver as it would stick in second gear I too am replacing my tranny as we speak.....lol. I found what folks were asking for used transmissions crazy. Rebuilding a bad transmission seemed like throwing good money after bad. So a upgrade was in order. My understanding is there is a break in on your new transmission and then you need to change the oil. Your going to want a proper oil that will protect the new transmission. Im no expert but zinc additives and such, just read up on it. Be show to post a picture when you have it running again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wanted to come back in and update that the shifting problem on the RockAuto rebuilt trans turned out to be the Master or Slave. They were not replaced during the mass replacement as I was told they were new within the year. I was told this after I ordered them, but figured I'd keep them as backups. Instead, last weekend I replaced both, have been driving now for 3 days with zero issue.

So it looks like I will not have to test the RockAuto warranty at this time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts