Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

A little back story on the Jeep. It's an 03 Wrangler X (4.0 150K)

I bought it a couple months ago as a "Project". It was partially disassembled with 1/2 of a lift kit installed and the gas tank pulled and had sat like that for over a year.

What I did:

I installed a new Zone 4.25 combo lift, new radiator, thermostat, trac bar, changed oil, installed the tank, etc...and got it running. It ran and still runs great!

Now:
Driving it last night I noticed the temp was a LITTLE high but I was close to home and headed that way. While driving, the temps rose slightly and I immediately shut the jeep off and basically coasted into my driveway. Got out and could smell antifreeze and noticed it pouring onto my driveway. Looked under the hood and coolant everywhere and appeared to be the water pump and the fan spread the coolant. No big deal, the original one was on there and it's due.

My concern:

What worries me is there was also coolant dripping from the most rear oil pan bolt and the bell housing. Now I thought it had ran along the engine and just dripping there. This morning, I poured more water in and started dripping from water pump as well as the rear points again. The jeep still runs great and no coolant in oil. Also, the block is dry and the freeze plugs appear to be dry.

The water pump is for sure bad and I'm going to start there but has anyone else had coolant run along the engine like that and fall in those areas?

Thank in advance to everyone.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would go ahead and replace the water pump and check (maybe replace) all the hoses including the heater hoses for a good start. The coolant could have run to the rear while you were driving or when you turned in your driveway. Also, if there is a lot of corrosion in your cooling system, might want to inspect the freeze plugs but if it looks pretty good, I would get it back going where you can get it warmed up and have some pressure on the system. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would go ahead and replace the water pump and check (maybe replace) all the hoses including the heater hoses for a good start. The coolant could have run to the rear while you were driving or when you turned in your driveway. Also, if there is a lot of corrosion in your cooling system, might want to inspect the freeze plugs but if it looks pretty good, I would get it back going where you can get it warmed up and have some pressure on the system. Good luck with it.
^ agreed

·
Knows a couple things...
49,384 Posts
Yep could also be leaking from something like a leaky freeze plug but any coolant leaking from the front area like the water pump will be blown backwards by the engine fan and make it look worse than it really is. I'd start by replacing the water pump and assume (hope) that is the sole source of the leak

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the delay....just got off work. I'm getting ready to replace the water pump. I will let everyone know from there. Thanks for the responses so far.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts