Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled off the pumpkin of my Dana 35 after my jeep stopped driving and just grinded instead. I found metallic silver gear oil huge chunks of metal shavings n a bunch of these small pellet like pieces of metal. Here are some pics Worth fixing. What does everyone think?

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it worth fixing. Low on cash college student. Is anything salvageable that I can sell off of the axle if its shot?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Is it worth fixing. Low on cash college student. Is anything salvageable that I can sell off of the axle if its shot?
Check Craigslist in your area. Often you can find a working D35 for $100-$175 and you can probably sell your broken d35 for about $50. But the trick will be to make sure the D35 has the same gearing that you had...won't be worth it at all if you have to regear it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really wanna go for the 8.8 or a d44 if I need a new one I'm not putting another d35 under there it's the second one I've blown. Hahah can't tell if it's me or the axle

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I really wanna go for the 8.8 or a d44 if I need a new one I'm not putting another d35 under there it's the second one I've blown. Hahah can't tell if it's me or the axle
Totally understand....and I would go the 8.8 or d44 route if you can. Just need to plan for ~$1000+ to do it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I've researching like crazy for both options as well as selling my belongings to save money haha. What's a better route take my d35 and junk it or sell it off in parts? Like what's my best money making route guys?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Yea I've researching like crazy for both options as well as selling my belongings to save money haha. What's a better route take my d35 and junk it or sell it off in parts? Like what's my best money making route guys?
They only parts out of it that are in demand (sell fairly easy) are the d35 axle shafts as people will buy them as spares or to replace one that has snapped. They are probably worth about $30-$50/ea on the used market

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What usually makes this happen to the differential. This d35 was only put on about a year n a half ago What ruins a pinion like this?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
What usually makes this happen to the differential. This d35 was only put on about a year n a half ago What ruins a pinion like this?
On a truck, I had a bearing like that go out because of exposure to water. Not knowing the diff had lots of water, it finally killed the bearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts