Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I was hoping someone could help. I just purchased my very first Jeep EVER this past weekend. I love it, except for the Uconnect thing - specifically, the voice command/bluetooth portion of it isn't doing what it says it can do per the booklet I found on line. I know the Uconnect is somehow separate from the bluetooth/voice command system, but I don't fully understand that whole thing.

Here is what I have: 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara and I've paired it w/ my iPhone 4S. The iPhone is running iOS 6.1.3

Here is what the Uconnect system CAN do:
1. It pares with the iPhone, and I can stream my music via bluetooth.
2. I can hit the Voice button, tell it '8' [or another number] and it will change the radio station to Sirius station #8
3. I can make a phone call, if I push the phone icon and tell it a specific phone number to dial.
4. I can receive incoming calls and talk hands free, etc.

Here is what it CANNOT do [and I am way frustrated with].
1. It cannot dial anyone from my phonebook [which I've bluetooth'ed down from my iPhone.]. If I say 'Call Sarah', it says "Would you like to call BEEP". OR it says 'Call 532#?' or something totally stupid like that. I think it thinks I speak some foreign language.
2. I can not use any voice commands related to Navigation [which I THINK I should be able to do, according to the booklet]. I push the NAV soft button, the map appears on my screen. I hit the Voice button and say "Where am I" or "Home" or "Find an address" or something and it just goes BEEP BEEP. It tells me that the only commands are "Change Station" and stuff radio-related.
3. I cannot use SIRI at all on my iPhone
4. I have no idea if I'm getting any texts because the Uconnect doesn't alert me and I can't hear my phone beep or buzz because somehow the sound gets disabled when the iPhone is paired w/ the Jeep.

I'm not sure if there is something wrong w/ the Voice module/microphone or whatever......or if this has to do w/ my iPhone.

Any help would be great. I love everything about the Jeep thus far except for this stupid Uconnect/voice thing!!!

Thanks,
Jen

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey Everyone,

2. I can not use any voice commands related to Navigation [which I THINK I should be able to do, according to the booklet]. I push the NAV soft button, the map appears on my screen. I hit the Voice button and say "Where am I" or "Home" or "Find an address" or something and it just goes BEEP BEEP. It tells me that the only commands are "Change Station" and stuff radio-related.
Hi Jen,

The 430N cannot do voice navigation. That is reserved for the 730 model of the radio/nav unit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go to www.driveuconnect.com and go to the help/support. Choose your car,radio, and phone. This gives what each specific phone and radio combo can do.

Siri can't talk to the car. The car won't read or send texts. The 430 doesn't support voice recognition navigation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh MAN. That torques me because I was itching to get a Jeep w/ the 730N and I let the sales guy talk me down to a 403N so they wouldn't have to transfer a Jeep from another dealer. Grrr....Sigh.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
FYI's for your "can't do"
1) Apple doesn't send the contacts from your phonebook thru BT. It automatically downloads your phonebook from the phone when you successfully pair it to Uconnect. In order to use this feature, the correct VR command would be:
ex- call George, Uconnect will ask if you want to call George mobile, pager, home or work (depending on which fields that you listed his contacts in). Now if you already know that you want to call George at his mobile #, you can use a shortcut by pressing and releasing the Uconnect phone button and say:
"call George, mobile". Now Uconnect will reply "calling George mobile, is this correct". In which you'll reply yes.
2) As mentioned above, Voice commands are not supported by the 430N radio.
3) Siri is not supported by the 430N radio because of the way that Apple responds to an incoming call while using SIRI. If you attempt to answer the call, then Apple ends SIRI and also sends the call to your voicemail while you're trying to answer the call but can't. Apple has known about this issue since the 4S came out and hasn't done anything about it.
4) Apple does not support the needed profile that Uconnect needs to receive and play incoming text messages.
5) Apple feels that everyone should conform to them and not Apple to the car kit companies. These issues are not only with Chrysler but also with other car companies also.

Hey Everyone,
I was hoping someone could help. I just purchased my very first Jeep EVER this past weekend. I love it, except for the Uconnect thing - specifically, the voice command/bluetooth portion of it isn't doing what it says it can do per the booklet I found on line. I know the Uconnect is somehow separate from the bluetooth/voice command system, but I don't fully understand that whole thing.

Here is what I have: 2013 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara and I've paired it w/ my iPhone 4S. The iPhone is running iOS 6.1.3

Here is what the Uconnect system CAN do:
1. It pares with the iPhone, and I can stream my music via bluetooth.
2. I can hit the Voice button, tell it '8' [or another number] and it will change the radio station to Sirius station #8
3. I can make a phone call, if I push the phone icon and tell it a specific phone number to dial.
4. I can receive incoming calls and talk hands free, etc.

Here is what it CANNOT do [and I am way frustrated with].
1. It cannot dial anyone from my phonebook [which I've bluetooth'ed down from my iPhone.]. If I say 'Call Sarah', it says "Would you like to call BEEP". OR it says 'Call 532#?' or something totally stupid like that. I think it thinks I speak some foreign language.
3. I cannot use SIRI at all on my iPhone
4. I have no idea if I'm getting any texts because the Uconnect doesn't alert me and I can't hear my phone beep or buzz because somehow the sound gets disabled when the iPhone is paired w/ the Jeep.

I'm not sure if there is something wrong w/ the Voice module/microphone or whatever......or if this has to do w/ my iPhone.

Any help would be great. I love everything about the Jeep thus far except for this stupid Uconnect/voice thing!!!

Thanks,
Jen

·
Registered
65 Posts
first post here!

i have had the same and similar issues/gripes with my new 2013 jeep wrangler and the uconnect software. i do have the connectivity package.

SIRI should work. it isn't and apple issue. It is a UCONNECT software issue / incompatibility issue for sure. I had it successfully work in my mini cooper that i traded in for the jeep. i used to be able to press the button on the iphone to activate SIRI and talk aloud in the car to SIRI while driving. Worked wonders for silly questions or directions or what not. the microphone would pick up my questions to siri, and play through the car speakers. it was like having a computer i could talk to in my car.

As far as texts. i never know i get them. you should at least be able to hear the chime from your phone play through the speakers that you recieved an incoming text. as far as dictate or play my texts. not sure about that one this day and age. maybe a year or so down the line?

the issue i have is playing my music from my iphone. i use it as an ipod as well. and connect it to the usb port in the center console. i can only play music by manually scrolling through my phone and picking the song out. I cannot do the voice command thing and ask it to play something via bluetooth. NEVER works. Also never reads the iphone as an ipod from the usb port. which i though it would do, and i could pick the songs from my radio on the dash. thats how the mini cooper worked.

again, only plays songs when manually scrolled through the iphone.

i have no problems making calls. but sometimes the button to answer a call doesnt take the call. seems to have a lag in time when it actually picks up. sometimes if i hit it twice, it just cancels the call all together.

its a quirky system imo. they should hire new and better software designers who know how to program better.

otherwise (uconnect software aside), I LOVE MY NEW JEEP!!!

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
Okay so a few things that you need to know:
1) The Bluetooth specs are loosely regulated and in some cases give the SW developer allows the interpretation of a spec to be interpreted differently by the SW developer. Therefore not all carkits will work the same.
2) There is a difference in a radio that has built in BT and one that has an external module. The one with the external module needs a few more milli seconds of messages being sent to it so that the message gets thru the communication lines. If the kit doesn't have enough time to respond, then something won't work. As in the case with SIRI. So this is not a "Uconnect" issue but it is an Apple issue. This is why there are several other Automotive mfg's that have the same issue. As I mentioned, Apple has known about this issue since the coming out of the 4S but refuse to do anything about it. Slightly odd, seeing how they only need to extend the time frame for the incoming call while in a SIRI feature.
3) Apple does not support the MAP (message access profile) the way most other phones do. They support it only for incoming messages, however they don't support an "outbox" which is where Uconnect and others read the incoming message from. They support a different folder. This is because they think that SIRI is a much better profile to use for SMS messaging. Ahing about another item that APPLE has known about but does nothing to help out.
4) I'm not sure about the issue of the USB connector not reading the iPhones iPod section. It does and is supposed to. I would be interested in seeing a short video of your trying to use it.
5) The use of voice commands when streaming audio is only supported for "next & previous tracks).
6) When there is an incoming call, Uconnect doesn't have a "lag time". It's your pressing the phone button at different times when there is an incoming call. If you wait till she says "incoming call from..." and then press the button after she says the name, you'll see that the call is accepted within about a second or so. If you press the button once when she starts to talk and don't try pressing it again, you'll see that the call is accepted in about 3-5 seconds. Not really a long time.
So if Uconnect and others work fine with a large number of phone mfg's, then why should they try making a bandaid to work with APPLE and possibly cause an issue with all the phones that it (they) work with?

first post here!

i have had the same and similar issues/gripes with my new 2013 jeep wrangler and the uconnect software. i do have the connectivity package.

SIRI should work. it isn't and apple issue. It is a UCONNECT software issue / incompatibility issue for sure. I had it successfully work in my mini cooper that i traded in for the jeep. i used to be able to press the button on the iphone to activate SIRI and talk aloud in the car to SIRI while driving. Worked wonders for silly questions or directions or what not. the microphone would pick up my questions to siri, and play through the car speakers. it was like having a computer i could talk to in my car.

As far as texts. i never know i get them. you should at least be able to hear the chime from your phone play through the speakers that you recieved an incoming text. as far as dictate or play my texts. not sure about that one this day and age. maybe a year or so down the line?

the issue i have is playing my music from my iphone. i use it as an ipod as well. and connect it to the usb port in the center console. i can only play music by manually scrolling through my phone and picking the song out. I cannot do the voice command thing and ask it to play something via bluetooth. NEVER works. Also never reads the iphone as an ipod from the usb port. which i though it would do, and i could pick the songs from my radio on the dash. thats how the mini cooper worked.

again, only plays songs when manually scrolled through the iphone.

i have no problems making calls. but sometimes the button to answer a call doesnt take the call. seems to have a lag in time when it actually picks up. sometimes if i hit it twice, it just cancels the call all together.

its a quirky system imo. they should hire new and better software designers who know how to program better.

otherwise (uconnect software aside), I LOVE MY NEW JEEP!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Specific question for anyone who might know.

Is there a way to stream voicemail playback from an iPhone (5 to be specific) through the uconnect?

Any time I try and listen to a voicemail, I have to switch to the phone (off uconnect), and then it typically bounces back to uconnect about 5 seconds into listening to the message. VERY frustrating. I've tried setting the headunit to the "Aux" mode as though I were streaming BT music from the phone and attempted to listen to the voicemail in that mode without luck.

The only consistent way I've found is to disable BT on the phone and listen to the voicemail. There has to be an easier way????

I travel a good bit for work and rent many cars, so I've paired my phone with most manufacturers and don't experience this issue with any other system.

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
no there isn't. The following features are not supported by the Uconnect system on these radios(RES, REQ, RBZ & RHB)
1) SIRI
2) Visual voice mail
3) Voice memo

When you try to use these features, there should be a small icon on the right side of the screen. Tap it and there will be a choice of ho to hear the feature (Uconnect & phone). Select phone. No the feature will be heard thru the phone.

Specific question for anyone who might know.

Is there a way to stream voicemail playback from an iPhone (5 to be specific) through the uconnect?

Any time I try and listen to a voicemail, I have to switch to the phone (off uconnect), and then it typically bounces back to uconnect about 5 seconds into listening to the message. VERY frustrating. I've tried setting the headunit to the "Aux" mode as though I were streaming BT music from the phone and attempted to listen to the voicemail in that mode without luck.

The only consistent way I've found is to disable BT on the phone and listen to the voicemail. There has to be an easier way????

I travel a good bit for work and rent many cars, so I've paired my phone with most manufacturers and don't experience this issue with any other system.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Thanks XSDBS, and I do that. The only problem is that after about 5-10 seconds of the voicemail streaming through the phone, it automatically switches back to UConnect and the silence. What you're suggesting is what I tried to describe above. The system seems to always "autoseek" for a bluetooth connection, and will automatically switch back to the UConnect, even if I've manually overridden the connection to iPhone. Anyone else have this problem?

So the only way I'm able to listen to voicemails I receive while connected is to disable the bluetooth on the phone to break the connection.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow you guys are awesome. A ton of information here. I'm going to play around with the hokey voice commands this weekend a bit more. I created new phone book entries myself rather than assuming it could find my friends and family via the iPhone phone book. That seems to work ok. Overall this technology is like a few years behind the times the moment you drive your jeep off the lot!

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
ell it's not really behind the times. The Uconnect system that is with the 430 series radio is actually one of the better system offered by Chrysler and I have friends with other vehicles that don't work as well either.
First you need to understand that the handsfree system main function is for phone calls and everything else are accessories which are not the main focus of the systems. Just as with computers, some people like windows 7, some windows 8 and some say that anything besides a Mac is trash.
The other thing is not to assume that they all work the same because they don't. Just like not all phones work the same or work well with all car kits. You can blame it more on the BT specs not being tightly regulated and rules that say that a particular profile has to be used a certain way in order to work. When the SW writers have a choice of how they think it should work, well then there will be issues and it may work with some and not others.

Wow you guys are awesome. A ton of information here. I'm going to play around with the hokey voice commands this weekend a bit more. I created new phone book entries myself rather than assuming it could find my friends and family via the iPhone phone book. That seems to work ok. Overall this technology is like a few years behind the times the moment you drive your jeep off the lot!

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
I'll look more into this next week when I get back into town, ok.

Thanks XSDBS, and I do that. The only problem is that after about 5-10 seconds of the voicemail streaming through the phone, it automatically switches back to UConnect and the silence. What you're suggesting is what I tried to describe above. The system seems to always "autoseek" for a bluetooth connection, and will automatically switch back to the UConnect, even if I've manually overridden the connection to iPhone. Anyone else have this problem?

So the only way I'm able to listen to voicemails I receive while connected is to disable the bluetooth on the phone to break the connection.

·
Registered
473 Posts
So I have an android and my text stuff works great! Notifies me when they come in and reads it to me. I have the 430N on a 2013. My voice mail also works no issue.

·
Registered
700 Posts
So I have an android and my text stuff works great! Notifies me when they come in and reads it to me. I have the 430N on a 2013. My voice mail also works no issue.
I have Android too on my Samsung Note and everything works fine with my 430N.

·
Registered
989 Posts
So another oddity to add to the mix with an iPhone 5. As I mentioned in earlier posts, I'm unable to listen to voicemails on my iPhone 5 via the 430N. HOWEVER, yesterday I was picking up a voicemail on my phone (had it on speaker) while I was climbing in and starting my Jeep. As soon as the phone connected to the 430N, the voicemail WAS streaming across the bluetooth and I could hear it on the 430N.

So it appears that if the connection is made PRIOR to attempting to listen to a voicemail, it doesn't work, but if you're already in the process of listening to a vm, it works. This would lead me to believe that it COULD work all the time and there's likely some software bug preventing it.

I'm going to do some more testign to see if this is consistent. Also want to see if it allows me to listen to multiple vm's in this manner, or if the connection is lost after listening to the one that was streaming when the connection was made. I didn't think to try this yesterday when it happened.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Town and Country with the 430N system and discovered the same thing. Using my iPhone 5S, only able phone and receive calls via bluetooth...unable to use bluetooth for Siri or for voice texting...VERY frustrating considering that my my 2014 Chevy Traverse is able to do all of the above, my 2009 GMC Sierra is able to do all of the above and my 2007 Pacific is able to do all of the above. The 2009 Sierra and the 2007 Pacific aren't able to play back music from my iPhone 5s via bluetooth.

I agree with a lot of the comments...it appears to be a UConnect thing...

I called the dealership and they said that there isn't a fix and as long as I have an iPhone, I'm stuck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Iphone problem uconnect

Its craze that with the uconnect 430N (RHB) Siri can't talk to the car. The car won't read or send texts.

Blue tooth works for phone calls but dictation and siri do not work through the phone or car when BT is on.

This is crazy every other car company has solved this - subaru, kia, ford, Gm etc etc. There are over 100 million iphone users - Why has Jeep not put out a software update to address this major problem

1 - 20 of 22 Posts