Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone has made their own flares either out of steel, fiberglass or anything else.

I'm shopping around and see these insane prices has got me considering a DIY attempt.

I'm not talking about the trimming the stock fenders. What I'd like is something like the metalcloak over line or the smittybilt xrc flux.

I know the metal versions brag about rigidity and being able to stand on them. I struggle to understand the need for that.

My goals in doing this would be to enhance the look, improve flex clearance and keep road dirt and debris from sliding down my doors.

Appreciate any feedback!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
In response to steel only, I would say that would be quite a challenge without access to some pretty intense metal working tools... I.e. Tig welder, Pipe bender, CNC of some sort, metal brake, etc.

So far, I've built my own bumper and I am in the process of fabbing up my own sliders. With my 220V gas capable Mig, a cutting torch, and lots of grinding discs, I've been able to make my stuff look good and structurally strong, but it's not anywhere near as clean, pretty, or consistent as some of the manufacturers a lot of us like.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
With the tools you will need. The supplies like cutting discs, grinding wheels plus the cost of the metal you won't end up saving money. Be cheaper to just buy those insanely expensive fenders.

BUT if you want the challenge, satisfaction of building your own unique fenders... yeah spend the money on the tools, supplies and metal.

And yes, do a search, go thru the picture threads. Lots of guys have built their own.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got a friend that works in fabricating so he's got access to a shop and all the tools. He's built parts for other jeepers; but he's built stuff intended to take a lot of abuse. I want mine to look good with a coat of hydro blue on them.

The particular fenders I want aren't available for a while so I think I'm setup to try it on our own fairly low risk. I did buy him a bend machine as payment, which was ~$300.

But with that expense and materials, I should be able to get a full setup for a lot less than the $1500 or so it would cost me retail. Plus at retail cost I'd still have to paint them. I'll be sure to post updates but I've gone ahead and set this in motion.

On YouTube lookup DIY JK tube Fenders, a guy made four videos showing step by step and they came out nice.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
I saw CJs and YJs with reinforced fabricated fenders to add protection on the trail.

Of course, rebuilding a vintage Jeep is a major task unto itself, of which fabricating fenders is only one of the many tasks.

Let me see if I can find some pix.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Here. It's a bit far to tell much, but there was reinforced tubing running along the edges of the fenders.

It looked great and worked very well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So tonight I spent some time with my fab guy. With the front fenders removed We made a template of the fender mount plate out of cardboard and loosely modeled the sheet skin out of cardboard as well.

The skin portion really helped to visualize the width that I want, which is going to be right around 7" wide overall.

Sorry I didn't get any pictures but nothing exciting to see yet.

He's going to make the plate out of 1/4" thick steel or aluminum and start bending pipe to have a mockup ready for me by next week. I'll try to snap some pics then.

Of note, I'm considering some type of rubber or plastic to put between the metal plate and the paint as a buffer. Need to figure that out. I'm assuming that with regular vibration it will grind away the paint there.

Also I need to research the bolts I'll be using. We talked about fab'ing a plate to go behind the body sheet metal as its real flimsy. We'll likely use 1/8" aluminum for that. Otherwise we're using 1.5" aluminum tube. And sheet metal.

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Anyone else ??

Trailer Queens do not get wheeled.

The owner might keep it immaculate but if it gets wheeled without fear?
It ain't no trailer queen.
It didn't have plates; it could not be registered to be driven on public roads legally. He trailered it hundreds of miles behind a big Dodge Ram diesel across the border from Arizona.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Always like to see this kind of stuff. Keep us posted!
Yeah me too. Glad I got the nerve to take a shot at it. For me it's fairy low risk/high reward if we can get it right. I sure wouldn't have tried it without my friends help though!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
It didn't have plates; it could not be registered to be driven on public roads legally. He trailered it hundreds of miles behind a big Dodge Ram diesel across the border from Arizona.
Just because it is unregistered does not make it a trailer queen.
If it gets properly wheeled it is not a trailer queen.

"Trailer Queens" registered or not never see dust, dirt, rain and they never get flexed. Even if they get driven to "show & shines".

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Good YouTube series on a DYI set of steel tube front fender flares. 4 videos, this is the link to part 1.

That mount plate you're making...it'll have to follow the subtle curvature of the fender on the Jeep (you may already be aware).

https://youtu.be/_ZdMcToA2k0

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good YouTube series on a DYI set of steel tube front fender flares. 4 videos, this is the link to part 1. That mount plate you're making...it'll have to follow the subtle curvature of the fender on the Jeep (you may already be aware). https://youtu.be/_ZdMcToA2k0
These are the videos that got me headed down this path. It's funny, my friend saw them and said "he's doing it the hard way..."

He's made bumpers and rails, racks, etc for jeeps but never fenders. So we're taking our time to try and get them perfect. It will take longer but it's fun for both of us and I can save a lot of money.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good YouTube series on a DYI set of steel tube front fender flares. 4 videos, this is the link to part 1. That mount plate you're making...it'll have to follow the subtle curvature of the fender on the Jeep (you may already be aware). https://youtu.be/_ZdMcToA2k0
Good point on the curvature, which is what we fine tuned tonight.

One thing I hadn't realized until taking off the fenders and measuring is that the very front of the jeep is about 2-3" more narrow than toward the back of the wheel. As we're measuring we were coming up with 7" width at the front but it will be around 5" off the fender toward the rear of the wheel well. It will make for some interesting bends of the 1.5" pipe but we'll work with it until it's correct.

·
Premium Member
5,669 Posts
Anyone else ??

Trailer Queens do not get wheeled.

The owner might keep it immaculate but if it gets wheeled without fear?
It ain't no trailer queen.
Just because it is unregistered does not make it a trailer queen.
If it gets properly wheeled it is not a trailer queen.

"Trailer Queens" registered or not never see dust, dirt, rain and they never get flexed. Even if they get driven to "show & shines".
Ya beat me to it. "Trailer Queen" is a show car that rarely sees the road, and only then when conditions are perfect. A race car that can't be registered for street use and so has to be trailered to its venue of choice is a "race car" or "track car." Not sure what a dedicated off-road rig is -- I'm newer to this sport than I am car racing.

That said,

a) that's a gorgeous and badass looking YJ, and

b) Jaba, interesting project. Looking forward to your ultimate success. :beerdrinking:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts