Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Penetrol has worked best for me. I first put it on almost a year ago. It's definitely in need of a new application, but even now, after almost a year, the fenders and door handles look better than they did before I ever applied it. I've got steel bumpers, so that's not applicable for me, but the Penetrol definitely looks great and holds up for quite a long time.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I’ve used 303 Aerospace and several other treatments in the past on my TJ as well as on the JK. Mud and dust just drew out the chemical from the black plastic and they returned to being a faded black after each ride.
To stop from using the protectants, I painted the flares on my TJ with a crinkle coat black every few years and while that worked very well, I was too lazy to do this on the JK.
A friend swears by F11 Top Coat. He applies it to all surfaces of his car on a semi-weekly basis, if not more frequently. I have to admit that the car does look very nice. He was kind enough to give me a sample that I applied to the fenders and front bumper. After more than six months, the fenders and bumper were just beginning to lose a small amount of their color. The Jeep has been on several trail rider during this period, some of which were muddy. Washing off the dust or mud revealed the same, muted shine as was there before the trail ride.
I tried it on the tires of my Miata and they held the dark, matte finish for several months as well. I still had enough left from the sample he gave me to retreat the fenders and front bumper of the Jeep last weekend.
The stuff isn’t inexpensive, but I plan to shell-out for the spray-bottle size and only use it on the exterior black trim.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
If using OTC is a requirement, I had good luck using Wipe New on the fender surrounds on my MINI as the darkening lasted about a year.

However, since using the F11 Top Coat, I have no plans to go back to anything else. Make'un Black Again ?

·
dirt road inspector
2,969 Posts
I used wipe new on the bumpers of my wife's JKU. I set the top of the wipe new bottle on the bumper of my JKU. Now I have a permanent ring from the top on my bumper. We sold her JKU so I don't know how it held up. The ring from the bottle top is holding up fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't used it yet as my Jeep is still relatively new, but I've heard great things about Cerakote Trim Coat. There are lots of product reviews/videos you can find online.
I got some from Amazon, washed with Dawn and dried them. The coating looked great but within a day it showed streaks. Their support said the surface either wasn't clean or dry. Only way to remove it is to sand it off. Recoating does nothing. Where it worked it looks good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
How id the 303 workout? Searchin' for the best product to restore my bumpers.
I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I already had another product on the bumpers & flares and I haven't been out in the rain in a while. But I'll post up my results later this week

·
Registered
24 Posts
Penetrol is what I use. Stupid easy to apply. Wipe it on, wait a couple minutes, buff it a little, then let it dry. Cheap and can pick it up at Home Depot. I did two coats last year when I first applied it in August to get it back to looking like normal. Just washed the Jeep the other day, still looks as good as when I put it on.

Unfortunately once the bumpers and fenders were done, everything else looked like crap. So then I did mirrors, side steps, fuel filler trim, license plate mount, antenna mount, wiper arms, taillight trim, windshield bumpers, third brake light, and door handles.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts