Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I have the wonderful Freedom top which works fine when it is not raining. I have a soft top too, but I like the look of the hardtop and like to alternate them. But living in Florida, where it rains lots in the summer, it leaks too much. I've spent many hours analyzing and fixing the leaks, but I got to thinking: Since I don't drive with the the front top panels removed , why not attach the two front panels to the main top semi-permanently. My idea is to use a quality silicon caulk between the panels, then screw a strong, stiff aluminum channel on the underside of the top to keep the parts together. I've already painted the inside of the top flat black so a black aluminum channel would not show much. The resulting top would need to be structurally strong, since I have a winch in my garage that I use to remove the hard top.

The first question I have is: will silicon stick to clean weather stripping that is between the panels? If not, and I removed the weather stripping, what would I use to fill that gap since the weather stripping is thick?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What year is your JK?? I have a 2011 Sahara Unlimited with a hard top, and a soft top that I go back and forth between, and I also live in Florida and haven't had any leak issues with mine... are you still under warranty? I'm not to sure I would remove the weather stripping from it though.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Yes a silicone caulk will stick to weatherstripping. I used this last winter hoping to keep the water out of the cracks in my hard top. With thawing and freezing, it could make the top leak a little if ice formed in the cracks so I did this. It was in for 5 months or so and peeled of very easily when it came time to remove the top

I'm confused on how you will attach the metal support underneath. It seems like if you really wanted a good one piece top you'd carve out some on the top, fiberglass in 2 or 4 Rods then go underneath and glass in all of the cracks. And possibly inlay a few more metal pieces under the fiberglass. You could probably do it well for $250 if you have some fiberglass experience

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts