Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Been doing a lot of lurking and this forum has been a huge help. I'm working with a couple of dealers to get a new JKUS. The problem is getting the Max Tow in the color we want. As I understand it, the only difference between the Tow Package and the Max Tow is the axle ratios, 3.21 vs 3.73. So what's to stop me from changing out the gears to get me there? I'm even thinking a 4.10 instead. Negotiate this into the deal and be done with it. That way instead of paying for the markup on the Max package I can get the Jeep set up with the ratio I'd like to add larger tires later, and hopefully under warranty to boot.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Hi all. Been doing a lot of lurking and this forum has been a huge help. I'm working with a couple of dealers to get a new JKUS. The problem is getting the Max Tow in the color we want. As I understand it, the only difference between the Tow Package and the Max Tow is the axle ratios, 3.21 vs 3.73. So what's to stop me from changing out the gears to get me there? I'm even thinking a 4.10 instead. Negotiate this into the deal and be done with it. That way instead of paying for the markup on the Max package I can get the Jeep set up with the ratio I'd like to add larger tires later, and hopefully under warranty to boot.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Is this an Automatic or manual gearbox?

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I would think that the price of a dealer gear swap would be horrible. Plus I'm not sure how good they would be at it.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
+1 dealer would be the LAST people I would want doing gears.

Also, think long term about what tire size you want to run and plan the appropriate gear for that.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I think the max tow package also includes trailer sway stability control, which as far as I know can't be added aftermarket. I vaguely remember seeing this in a thread before.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, it's an auto. And I did read before that dealers are not usually the ones to do this. So should I just negotiate down and pay to swap gearing through my local shop then? And more broadly, does this seem like a legitimate way to increase my tow capacity? Tire wise, 33"-35" max as it's also my DD. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
I think the max tow package also includes trailer sway stability control, which as far as I know can't be added aftermarket. I vaguely remember seeing this in a thread before.
Nope, they all have it.

Max Tow= Hitch, 3.73 gears

EDIT: Pic from my '14 JKUR window sticker

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Nope, they all have it.

Max Tow= Hitch, 3.73 gears

EDIT: Pic from my '14 JKUR window sticker
Good to know. I know this was a point of contention back in like 2010. Don't know if it was standard after '12 or what, but I do recall that in the thread it was specifically stated it was something that had to be flashed. I just checked a 2013 manual PDF and it no longer says "if equipped" so I assume that means it's on everyone's.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
Good to know. I know this was a point of contention back in like 2010. Don't know if it was standard after '12 or what, but I do recall that in the thread it was specifically stated it was something that had to be flashed. I just checked a 2013 manual PDF and it no longer says "if equipped" so I assume that means it's on everyone's.
:thumb:

I thought the same thing when I bought my '13 with max tow, when ordering the '14 I left it off when I found out it was standard.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
you can also order a JK with 3.73 gears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I found that the tow stuff was easily installed on my 2015 Unlimited Rubicon, wire harness just plugs in and 4 bolts for the hitch. And these are a fraction of the Mopar cost if you order online. Axel ratios are a bit trickier, and that is what you should focus on when buying your jeep. Get the 3.73 at minimum. Or get the Rubicon and you will have the 4.10's, and rock trak 4wd... It's a beautiful thing.

Good luck with your search.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Focus on getting the gears through the factory.
Adding the hitch is the cheep and easy part.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts