Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals. I tried using the search feature, but I got nothing.

Just wondering what you all use to bring the black back out in your tires? Mine are almost brown and they're only a year old.

I hate the wet/gloss look, so I wanna stay away from that.

Also, I heard it's better to use water-based dressings over silicone because silicone can be hard on the rubber, possibly drying them out?

Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
they make tire only cleaners that you can find at auto zone or online at sites like autopia

silicone based tire dressing will turn your tires yellow pretty quickly as it wears off. Stick with a water based low-gloss dressing and you'll be fine. You'll be surprised how much dirt and stuff comes off when you spray the tire cleaner on there, it may take 3 or so applications to get all the dirt off. once they are clean, you can dress with a no/low gloss dressing (silicone free)

·
Registered
26 Posts
i used armor all spray-on tire shine, took 1 can and 2 coats to make them look new. it does have a wet look at first but that wore off real quick

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
best stuff ive used to clean the crap off the tires and make them look new again is Bleche-wite spray it on your tires and youll watch the brown run off the tire
this!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use simple green and a brush. I love maguiars endurance shine, it goes on so easily with a unique spray and it lasts. I like a shine, but if you don't if you spray it with water the shine fades and it just looks very clean - and it stays that way for a good while. It's a good product.

I have used almost every tire product for 30 years, I have never had a tire be damaged from it before it wore out

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I use simple green and a brush. I love maguiars endurance shine, it goes on so easily with a unique spray and it lasts. I like a shine, but if you don't if you spray it with water the shine fades and it just looks very clean - and it stays that way for a good while. It's a good product.

I have used almost every tire product for 30 years, I have never had a tire be damaged from it before it wore out
Ray Charles endorsing an appearance product.

·
Registered
199 Posts

·
Registered
10,414 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Does anyone know what Pledge does, over the long haul, to the rubber (if anything)?
Good question Walt, brought back memories. We used to use "Mom's" Pledge all the time.
Over time it will dry the tires out and cause cracking. Based on, We used to use it on tires, dash boards and rear decks, as well as pretty much the entire interior and it ALL cracked. Was it the Pledge? These days I stick with Meguiar's and use the item designed for the surface.
Maybe I'm wasting $$ but, haven't had any cracking.:)

The OTC tire dressings can be simply wiped down to get rid of the wet/shiney look if one is so inclined.
I like a clean wheel and a Black Tire .... old school detailer habit :)

Even their website states for use on "Hard Surfaces (Sealed)" as for Leather.... I'll stick with high-end products that restore natural oils.
https://www.pledge.com/en-us/products/pledge-lemon-clean-furniture-spray

But, In closing - My Tires don't last long enough to suffer any negative effect with the miles I drive.:)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Reactions: RubiconSS

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Based on the ingredient list, I don't think there's anything in it that would cause any damage or material deterioration.

Pledge® Lemon Fresh : SC Johnson
Also possible that the materials used in the cars I drove back when we were using Pledge was the culprit (as in - crap) If it's what I had available, I'd still reach for a can. There wasn't the selection of car care products or the $$$ when I was detailing cars back in the 70's.
Hell, we used Ajax powder and a scrub brush on white walls.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I use Bleche-White tire cleaner when my tires become discolored from the dust/dirt/mud I've been wheeling in, but generally I just use soapy water and a brush. I used to really like the stuff, but unfortunately EPA and other bureaucratic rules have forced the company to dilute the formula so it doesn't work as well as it once did.

For tire dressing, I typically use "No Touch Tire Care." Just spray on the foam, wait until it is almost dry, then wipe down the tire to even out any streaks. It is usually cheaper than the other stuff on the shelf and dries to a satin finish. (I don't want shiny tires on my jeep.)

The SDS for the No Touch original formula indicates that the active ingredient is glycerin rather than silicone or a petroleum distillate. Glycerin won't dry out or otherwise harm the rubber compound of your tires; pure glycerin is often used by classic and antique car detailers to preserve and restore rubber trim.

Reactions: Bmidbar

·
Registered
798 Posts
I use Bleche-White tire cleaner when my tires become discolored from the dust/dirt/mud I've been wheeling in, but generally I just use soapy water and a brush. I used to really like the stuff, but unfortunately EPA and other bureaucratic rules have forced the company to dilute the formula so it doesn't work as well as it once did.

For tire dressing, I typically use "No Touch Tire Care." Just spray on the foam, wait until it is almost dry, then wipe down the tire to even out any streaks. It is usually cheaper than the other stuff on the shelf and dries to a satin finish. (I don't want shiny tires on my jeep.)

The SDS for the No Touch original formula indicates that the active ingredient is glycerin rather than silicone or a petroleum distillate. Glycerin won't dry out or otherwise harm the rubber compound of your tires; pure glycerin is often used by classic and antique car detailers to preserve and restore rubber trim.

This is what I do as well. I havent done it lately so my tires are looking quite yunky!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts