Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been looking to make my own front and rear bumpers instead of paying tons for pre made ones. The only thing hindering my design is how do bumpers attach to the jeep?! Can anyone post pictures of where an aftermarket bumper would attach? I can make it no problem, but attaching it securely would be key.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
The fronts and back both mount to the frame rails. The front by w or 4 bolts up top and 2 bolts on the bottom. The back by 4 bolts going front to back along the end of the frame rail.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Most use the factory bolt locations for the front. Line Dennis said. 4 on top and 2 on the bottom. When i did mine i do not really like captured nuts like the one for the front bumper so I welded on 1/4" plate angle brackets on the side of the frame rails.

I did use the top 2 bolt holes too. I left the bottom ones off as drains for the frame.

Here are some pics of it.

Here you can see the factory captured nuts in the top and bottom:

Here is a side view of the passenger side bracket:

I sleeved the holes in the bumper and just bolted thru the front:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The rear is where the issues come in. The steel where the bumperettes both thru is pretty thin and IMHO not a great place to put anything that will get yanked on or hit.

IIRC a lot of after market bumpers use them and also braces that go tot he frame in the rear. You drill thru the frame to add the bracing.

I did mine in the midst of my rear frame repair so I could beef up the frame some to have a place to bolt to. Once my rear frame rails were repaired i added about 7/16" of steel split between the top and bottoms of the frame rails. Then drilled a 1/2" hole thru the frame vertically to put a grade 8 bolt thru. I also used the bumperette holes to help locate the bumper. I did place some 1/8 plate behind the rear beam as washers and the front part is 3/16" thick where the bumper mounts.

I have yanked on this bumper very hard. Harder than I ever should have pulling people out of stuff. It has never let go or had any issues. In fact i ripped a front tow bumper off of a full size dodge ram. His bumper was bolted to the factory bumper mounts. :)

Pics:

Here you can kinda see the added steel to the rear frame rails. Notice they are thicker in the back

Here are the mounts before the bumper was welded on. Notice you can see the 1/2" bolt on top of the frame.

Here is the best pic i have of the mounted bumper:

Please excuse the clean jeep. It is not ususally that clean. LOL!

Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas, there are other ways to do it for sure. The bumpers were also made by me. 1/4" thick steel, d ring mounts welded thru both sides. all bolt holes sleeved. I have tested them over and over and they have never budged and that was my goal.

Good luck and keep us posted on yours.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Heres my front one. Made by a Thumb Jeeps member here in MI. (Brett) Its also completely sealed and has 2 fittings in the rear so I can fill it w/compressed air on the trails. ;) He also checked with a friend at the state police to ensure the stinger was'nt to big to be legal. Theres also gussets at the back of the hitch receiver that you can't see in the pics. Steel plates run from it to the top and bottom of the frame and it also ties in the center. 10 bolts all together. 2 on top of each side of the frame, 2 on the bottom of each side and two in the center behind the gusset on the hitch receiver that tie in behind the cross bar. By havings the bolts on top I can also add a custom winch plate in the future.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I was going to do one like that but cut the ends off and put that mounting square on top or flush inside the bumper.

I like the square mounts in the rear like someone posted earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sevenservices said:
Heres my front one. Made by a Thumb Jeeps member here in MI. (Brett) Its also completely sealed and has 2 fittings in the rear so I can fill it w/compressed air on the trails. ;) He also checked with a friend at the state police to ensure the stinger was'nt to big to be legal. Theres also gussets at the back of the hitch receiver that you can't see in the pics. Steel plates run from it to the top and bottom of the frame and it also ties in the center. 10 bolts all together. 2 on top of each side of the frame, 2 on the bottom of each side and two in the center behind the gusset on the hitch receiver that tie in behind the cross bar. By havings the bolts on top I can also add a custom winch plate in the future.
How did you actually make the bumper? Was each face cut separately and welded together? Or did you use a rectangular pipeish thing and cut 45*s on each end and weld a plate to those?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
95YamJam said:
The rear is where the issues come in. The steel where the bumperettes both thru is pretty thin and IMHO not a great place to put anything that will get yanked on or hit.

IIRC a lot of after market bumpers use them and also braces that go tot he frame in the rear. You drill thru the frame to add the bracing.

I did mine in the midst of my rear frame repair so I could beef up the frame some to have a place to bolt to. Once my rear frame rails were repaired i added about 7/16" of steel split between the top and bottoms of the frame rails. Then drilled a 1/2" hole thru the frame vertically to put a grade 8 bolt thru. I also used the bumperette holes to help locate the bumper. I did place some 1/8 plate behind the rear beam as washers and the front part is 3/16" thick where the bumper mounts.

I have yanked on this bumper very hard. Harder than I ever should have pulling people out of stuff. It has never let go or had any issues. In fact i ripped a front tow bumper off of a full size dodge ram. His bumper was bolted to the factory bumper mounts. :)

Pics:

Here you can kinda see the added steel to the rear frame rails. Notice they are thicker in the back

Here are the mounts before the bumper was welded on. Notice you can see the 1/2" bolt on top of the frame.

Here is the best pic i have of the mounted bumper:

Please excuse the clean jeep. It is not ususally that clean. LOL!

Anyway, hope that gives you some ideas, there are other ways to do it for sure. The bumpers were also made by me. 1/4" thick steel, d ring mounts welded thru both sides. all bolt holes sleeved. I have tested them over and over and they have never budged and that was my goal.

Good luck and keep us posted on yours.
As far as mounts go, I take it the silver add on was completely custom, and that's where your bumper will be welded on? And how did you make your bumper as well? Was it a rectangular pipe? Or 6 separate faces welded together?

Thanks for the descriptions and pictures!!! :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
95YamJam said:
Yes I welded the bumper onto the "silver" mount. I built both of mine from rectangular tube. I cut them to shape and cappeed off the open spots.
Where did you purchase your rectangular tube? I found some online for 140 bucks...

·
Registered
483 Posts
just find a local steel yard you should only pay around 100 bucks for the material

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I kept my front stock bumper and just added some recovery points to it. For the rear, I actually cut the factory stuff off including the stamp-steel crossmember going from framerail to framerail. I used 2"x4"x1/4 tubing and welded it in place. I notched it to fit my frame on both sides and it turned out just perfect. I do not have a pic of the rear uploaded to my pc yet

Attachments

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Where did you purchase your rectangular tube? I found some online for 140 bucks...
We have a local surplus steel place. They sell it by the pound. IIRC i have about $50 in the front and rear for the main pieces. The fill in stuff I already had.

I think i had more in grade 8 hardware. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts