Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning the MIL lit up.......my jeep user guide doesn't say much about it, anybody familiar with this and should I be CONCERNED??? Thanks in advance:pullinghair:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Needs to be scanned for codes many parts sellers will scan for free, Scanner's are fairly inexpensive some even use your smart phone and can reset the light could be something as simple as a loose gas cap.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
get the codes then google them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to O'Reilly's and they scanned it for me (free)....what nice people they are!
Anyway it's the Evaporative Emission System very small leak...so that's a relief.
Will try doing the soap/water test tomorrow OR do you think it's better to use starter fluid?
Thank for your help :)

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I had the same issue. It was the evap canister pump for me. Cheap on amazon and maybe 10 minutes to replace.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The very first thing I would check would be the gas cap, Check the cap and filler for any debris on the "O" ring or nicks and scratches and that the cap was installed tight at last fill up [ at least 1 or 2 clicks ] 9 out of 10 times this will correct the problem If you can find some one with a scanner to turn off the MIL it may have just been 1 time deal. If you can't Find a Samaritan and the problem is solved the MIL will go off after a few driving cycles. Not a serious problem in Prescott [ NO emission test]But needs to be addressed for your peace of mind.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Had the same issue, it was the gas cap in my case. Replace it with a Morar one, the aftermarket ones suck.

Once replaced, as long as it was the cap, the light will go away after a few cycles. The evap system does the test when the tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I did an oil change recently and then went for a gas fill up. Shortly the little engine light showed up and I immediately thought that I had a problem with the filter or the plug. When trying to remove the plug it would not come out and eventually the plug rounded. I finally had to remove it with vice grips and then head to the parts store for a replacement.

A friend checked with his scanner and it too showed a small leak in the evaporative system. One of the first things that I checked when the signal first appeared was the gas cap without success. After the scan, I again checked the cap and this time when I reinstalled it I turned it like a dozen times rather than the normal 3 or 4.

Back in the car and the light was gone. We shall see tomorrow when I drive her again. Fingers crossed.

I Googled the problem and repair estimates were anywhere from $250 to $500. YIKES!!!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yipee!! The MIL light has gone back into hibernation! So here's what happened.....did the gas cap first.....cleaned it and made sure to put it back on with numerous turns. THEN popped the hood...oh my.....I had it at the dealer 3 weeks ago for Auto Butler which is the only thing I have the dealer do (free when I bought the Jeep), they also "did" a maintenance inspection. Told me the only thing was the wiper fluid needed to be filled. So some idiot put a small can (tuna or cat food) on upside down on the coolant reservoir filler. When I took it off and checked the reservoir it was 5 cups +- low!!! Of course the inspection sheet had the coolant marked green/checked. Put coolant in and then I took the battery cables off and let it sit overnight. This morning, turned it on and no indicator!!!
So, I don't know which of the things I did to make the indicator go off (I think it's the gas cap), but I'm so happy to get this off my mind. I would love to give the Jeep Dealership a piece of my mind but you know 1. they don't care and 2. they won't admit it was them.
Thank you for all your suggestions and help, it's really appreciated.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
So some idiot put a small can (tuna or cat food) on upside down on the coolant reservoir filler. When I took it off and checked the reservoir it was 5 cups +- low!!! Of course the inspection sheet had the coolant marked green/checked. Put coolant in and then I took the battery cables off and let it sit overnight. This morning, turned it on and no indicator!!!
So, I don't know which of the things I did to make the indicator go off (I think it's the gas cap), but I'm so happy to get this off my mind. I would love to give the Jeep Dealership a piece of my mind but you know 1. they don't care and 2. they won't admit it was them
I've had a prybar, wrench or screwdriver left under the hood but never cat food. Guess if you need a snack on flat rate it's possible LOL

I cleaned the gas cap seal with some WD40 and wiped down the filler port then cranked the cap tight a few times slightly pushing downward. Cleared the code and no more CEL

·
Registered
396 Posts
For next time,

Turn your key off then on three times, finishing at the ON position (do not start), the dash will go all blinky, then the odometer will cycle through the diagnostic codes. (a letter followed by four numbers) Write those all down, and google them. Tell us too so we can play armchair mechanic.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FRYDADDY: Where is "Fires of Hell, AZ???????

Good answer but I'm just done with this project, I'm now rearranging my kitchen cupboards no more armchair mechanic this week:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
FRYDADDY: Where is "Fires of Hell, AZ???????

Good answer but I'm just done with this project, I'm now rearranging my kitchen cupboards no more armchair mechanic this week:)
Lol, its pretty much any of the lowlands out here in the devils-fiery-anus.... Like Phoenix, and Tucson. Its freaking hot...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's what I figured but had to ask anyway. It was hotter than hell here too, finally down in the high 70's now with rain coming :) Fires of Hell would be a good name for one of the southern Arizona towns. You all have a good weekend...:)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yipee!! The MIL light has gone back into hibernation! So here's what happened.....did the gas cap first.....cleaned it and made sure to put it back on with numerous turns. THEN popped the hood...oh my.....I had it at the dealer 3 weeks ago for Auto Butler which is the only thing I have the dealer do (free when I bought the Jeep), they also "did" a maintenance inspection. Told me the only thing was the wiper fluid needed to be filled. So some idiot put a small can (tuna or cat food) on upside down on the coolant reservoir filler. When I took it off and checked the reservoir it was 5 cups +- low!!! Of course the inspection sheet had the coolant marked green/checked. Put coolant in and then I took the battery cables off and let it sit overnight. This morning, turned it on and no indicator!!!
So, I don't know which of the things I did to make the indicator go off (I think it's the gas cap), but I'm so happy to get this off my mind. I would love to give the Jeep Dealership a piece of my mind but you know 1. they don't care and 2. they won't admit it was them.
Thank you for all your suggestions and help, it's really appreciated.
Glad you may have tracked it down. Mine gets the same code (p0456 I assume) every now and again. Haven't taken the time to track it down. Clear and it is fine for a month, three months, etc. I figure it's a Jeep fart causing it. I'll find it eventually.
On your coolant issue, I very much hope you used the very specific type coolant for your model year. They thoughtfully changed types mid life of the JK, and didn't even bother doing it sensibly by changing when they switched from 3.8 to 3.6. 2007 to 2012 use HOAT and 2013 up use OAT. Mixing these can be problematic for the system from what I have read.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On your coolant issue, I very much hope you used the very specific type coolant for your model year. They thoughtfully changed types mid life of the JK, and didn't even bother doing it sensibly by changing when they switched from 3.8 to 3.6. 2007 to 2012 use HOAT and 2013 up use OAT. Mixing these can be problematic for the system from what I have read.

Another thing I didn't know.......thank you!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts