Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. I have been mostly lurking for a few months. I have enjoyed learning from everyone and I appreciate your patience with us newbies. Great board.

About one year ago I purchased a 2007 Rubicon. It only had 19,000 miles and had never been taken off pavement. Unfortunately, it has a mall queen look:

I am finally getting around to swapping out the tires, wheels, etc. This is the current plan:

3-in lift
35-in Nitto Trail Grappler tires
17-in Pro Comp 7069 wheels

Will ditch the chrome side step, but haven't decided yet whether I will replace it. Sounds like I will also need to upgrade the spare tire support. Still mulling over a few options, but will likely pull the trigger in a week or two. I will post a few pics as I go along to document the transition. I don't know if it will be as impressive as many of the fine Jeeps you all own, but at least I won't need to wear a paper bag over my head the next time I go to Moab for the Jeep Safari.

Advice/comments/insults welcomed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm of the personal opinion that it will look fantastic after you are finished. I'm also of the opinion you should be very happy with what you have currently. I know a long list of guys who would kill to have a Jeep like yours. Mods or not, ditch the paper sack, because you have a nice Jeep.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think it looks to bad at all. Doesn't have too much chrome I don't think and I really really hate chrome on any vehicle but it doesn't look bad at all. For sure a good starting pallet though

·
Registered
176 Posts
For sure bed line if its in the budget. I'd really like to do it someday. I think it makes sense that if you're making the outside look mean, might as well upgrade the inside

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm of the personal opinion that it will look fantastic after you are finished. I'm also of the opinion you should be very happy with what you have currently. I know a long list of guys who would kill to have a Jeep like yours. Mods or not, ditch the paper sack, because you have a nice Jeep.
Yeah, I am exaggerating a little for effect. But I am tired of all that chrome.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now the guy doing my lift and tires tells me that I need to install a heavy duty spare tire carrier to support the heavier 35-in tires. He says that there are cheaper options but he is pushing a Teraflex system that is ~$950 installed (yikes!). I am now wondering if I should go with this option or if one of the cheaper mounts would be sufficient. Any advice?

·
Registered
530 Posts
There's a TON of options. Go with the one that will work best down the road with your plans/mods.

I personally try to keep it simple and I hate the thought of rattles and extra maintenance /adjustment. I went with the teraflex setup and like it a lot.

Quality is nice and the hi lift mount is solid.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Parts all ordered. Everything will be installed on Friday.

Final list:
Pro Comp 7069 wheels (17x9)
Nitto Trail Grappler 35x12.5x17 tires
Budget lift (~2.5 inches)
Teraflex heavy duty spare mount
Black tube side rails

Even my teenage daughter is excited at this point. When I first announced my intent to get different wheels, she and my wife had a meltdown. Took me several months to get everyone on board.

Will post pics this weekend.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Looking good.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
That looks much better!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts