Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you guys are looking to keep your plastics looking good, this is probably my favorite product. My top and all my plastic and rubber is still looking awesome after years of sitting in the sun, salt, whatever. I was outside the other day cleaning the garage, and decided to shoot a quick vid. I buy it by the gallon on ebay and it lasts me nearly 2 years.

IMG 2923 - YouTube

·
Registered
545 Posts
Nice

I have always used Armorall but have heard it is not the best for your vehicle. I will try this stuff. Thanks.

·
Administrator
42,602 Posts
I have always used Armorall but have heard it is not the best for your vehicle. I will try this stuff. Thanks.
Armorall is death for plastic and vynil. Don't use it.
Armorall actually strips the UV protection from plastics. It's fine if you keep it gooped up but once the Armorall is gone (soaked in, washed off, etc.), you are worse off than before you started.

·
Registered
44 Posts
+1 for Vynilex the stuff is amazing. Quick tip, use the same rag! just put it in a gallon zip lock bag when your done. And don't spray the Vynilex on the dash spray it on the rag. It can be a pain to get off the windows.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1 for Vynilex the stuff is amazing. Quick tip, use the same rag! just put it in a gallon zip lock bag when your done. And don't spray the Vynilex on the dash spray it on the rag. It can be a pain to get off the windows.
Yup. I do exactly that. Ziplock bag and only spray the rag not the panel.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Armor all bad for interior too?
Yes. Armorall has silicone in it (silicates technically.) Once silicates are introduced to plastic or vynil, they are embedded forever. Silicates accelerate rot in plastics, and accelerate the ashing, which is why armoralled surfaces look like crap when they dry out, and the only way to keep them looking "fresh" is more armorall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A local Dr. in my town brought a Ferrari 360 Modena to my audio shop for and JL sound system. He had used Armor all on the dash and plastics of the interior. All of the black plastics on the door panel and trim around the steering wheel had literally melted on the surface. You could see his finger prints everywhere. Ferrari has their own special interior spray that he neglected to use. We ended up sanding and wrapping almost everything in carbon fiber vinyl.

NO ARMORALL....

·
Registered
18 Posts
A local Dr. in my town brought a Ferrari 360 Modena to my audio shop for and JL sound system. He had used Armor all on the dash and plastics of the interior. All of the black plastics on the door panel and trim around the steering wheel had literally melted on the surface. You could see his finger prints everywhere. Ferrari has their own special interior spray that he neglected to use. We ended up sanding and wrapping almost everything in carbon fiber vinyl.

NO ARMORALL....
Interesting.....

·
Registered
92 Posts
Man I love vynilx. But I cant find it anymore at any of the local stores. Thanks for the ebay tip.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Says Wally World sales it

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Need a fix? Lol..Not sure ill look today and let you know

·
Registered
129 Posts
I usually get it at ACE hardware. Oddly, not many people are aware of this product. I found out about it on the Harley forums a few years ago and have been using it on my bike with great results. Also been using it on the black plastic and Trektop NX on my jeep and it seems to be doing a good job of keeping everything looking like new :thumb:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
303: I hunted down & special ordered a bottle.

Used it a few times and was profoundly disappointed....whatever it might do is not evident in the few trials I made with it.

Still looking for 'best' product.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts