Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is just gonna be a little vent session. Decided to finally take the doors off this weekend and they were stuck in there pretty good since I haven't took them out since last year. So we had the brilliant idea of using the ole floor jack with a 2x4 and popping them off. Worked great until the door decided to pop out when I wasn't ready for it and scratch a good 2 inches of paint off the front edge of the door from hitting the hinge. Ugh. :rant:

OK, so not a big deal, pick up some touch up paint and have at it. Luckily it is only on the edge so it is barely noticeable (I of course know its there.) So it looks like it is going to rain a few days later so I decide I need to put the doors back on. Somehow putting them back on I manage to scrape the exact same spot, and pull most of the touch up paint back off. UGH. :rant:

OK, not a big deal, hit it with some more touch up paint. looks acceptable once again. While I was applying the touch up paint I took the strap off so I could get around the edge better. I'm sure you can guess what happens next. Yep, this morning I go to put the top up since it looks like rain once again, and of course don't realize the strap is still disconnected. DING, there's the infamous cowl dent. UGH. :rant: Luckily I still had the door sensor wire attached (which ripped clean off) and that seems to have slowed it down a bit, not enough for it to not leave about a dime sized dent though.

So next time you want to take the doors off, take your time and make sure your lube those hinges. And double check your door straps!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Damn, one after another.
Although I'm wary of the cowl dent, I always place a blanket on the cowl when removing doors.
Also, I always grease the door hinges before putting the doors back in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The classic cowl dent... First time I took my doors off my JK I forgot to reattach the strap. Nice big cowl dent from a full swing open. I paid a body guy to pop it out and make it look like new. 3 weeks later, my friend was struggling putting the passenger door or so I quickly slid the driver in and ran around to help... wind blew the driver door right into that same spot I just paid to have fixed. I just slapped some cowl armor over the dent this time haha.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Well this is just gonna be a little vent session. Decided to finally take the doors off this weekend and they were stuck in there pretty good since I haven't took them out since last year. So we had the brilliant idea of using the ole floor jack with a 2x4 and popping them off. Worked great until the door decided to pop out when I wasn't ready for it and scratch a good 2 inches of paint off the front edge of the door from hitting the hinge. Ugh. :rant:
Sounds like you need the TMR delrin door insert mod. Makes the doors come off real easy even after the winter. I see you live in PA, just like me so this is what you inserts might look like:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like you need the TMR delrin door insert mod. Makes the doors come off real easy even after the winter. I see you live in PA, just like me so this is what you inserts might look like:

Yup, they are on my list. Last summer they came off no problem but this winter beat them up pretty bad. I put some anti seize on them for the time being.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used white lithium last year on 3 out of 4 and the 3 greased came out easy, non-greased not so easy so the white lith works pretty well.

That being said however I recently ordered the delrin hinge liners.
Thanks.

It's really aggravating. Things like this and the door sill guards should be stock. Nearly $40 grand for a vehicle, and they couldn't put $100 worth of stuff that's preventative on it.

...rant over.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
Thanks.

It's really aggravating. Things like this and the door sill guards should be stock. Nearly $40 grand for a vehicle, and they couldn't put $100 worth of stuff that's preventative on it.

...rant over.
There are a lot of areas that they skimp on that I wish they wouldn't. I'm sure it helps the aftermarket vendors have a base of business to rely on. Perhaps that's the real goal, throw enough business to the aftermarket to ensure that they stay in business and sustain/promote the Jeep mod'ing culture.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The classic cowl dent... First time I took my doors off my JK I forgot to reattach the strap. Nice big cowl dent from a full swing open. I paid a body guy to pop it out and make it look like new. 3 weeks later, my friend was struggling putting the passenger door or so I quickly slid the driver in and ran around to help... wind blew the driver door right into that same spot I just paid to have fixed. I just slapped some cowl armor over the dent this time haha.
As I told my wife if you don't have a cowl dent you haven't had your Jeep very long or you have never taken the doors off.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I told my wife if you don't have a cowl dent you haven't had your Jeep very long or you have never taken the doors off.
As much as I appreciate the "right of passage" I will most likely be taking it to the shop to see if they can PDR it. If its under $100 I will probably get it fixed and if it happens again say screw it.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
F-That, LOL! My doors come off every chance I get and I don't have any cowl dents! I'm SUPER OCD however, and have a mental checklist so I DON'T get them. If I did, I think I'd have to trade in the Jeep! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
As much as I appreciate the "right of passage" I will most likely be taking it to the shop to see if they can PDR it. If its under $100 I will probably get it fixed and if it happens again say screw it.
Well it's an easy PDR because they have a completely open panel to get to, as for having it happen again..... dunno what to say there. Usually Once bitten, twice shy.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it's an easy PDR because they have a completely open panel to get to, as for having it happen again..... dunno what to say there. Usually Once bitten, twice shy.
You know, I'm usually SUPER ocd about making sure the straps are on there and being careful when opening them when they're off. Just takes that one time...

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
You know, I'm usually SUPER ocd about making sure the straps are on there and being careful when opening them when they're off. Just takes that one time...
I actually talk myself thru the Fronts and ensure that the last thing I do before Lift/Remove is undo that strap. No Delay.
- Position the Jeep
- Position the Dolly
- Put the window down
- Undo the electric plug
- Undo keeper strap
Lift/Remove

Talk to me or interrupt me..... You Die.

It has worked.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I actually talk myself thru the Fronts and ensure that the last thing I do before Lift/Remove is undo that strap. No Delay.
- Position the Jeep
- Position the Dolly
- Put the window down
- Undo the electric plug
- Undo keeper strap
Lift/Remove

Talk to me or interrupt me..... You Die.

It has worked.
Where's the 'like' button?? That's my checklist as well. 3 Jeeps, no cowl dents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Use never seize on the hinge , done, no problems ever again

CHRYSLER CORPORATION SUCKS. They couldn't use just a little bit of stainless on the door hinges ? Cheap SOB's. They need to wake the hell up.

OK, so not a big deal, pick up some touch up paint and have at it. Luckily it is only on the edge so it is barely noticeable (I of course know its there.) So it looks like it is going to rain a few days later so I decide I need to put the doors back on. Somehow putting them back on I manage to scrape the exact same spot, and pull most of the touch up paint back off. UGH. :rant:

OK, not a big deal, hit it with some more touch up paint. looks acceptable once again. While I was applying the touch up paint I took the strap off so I could get around the edge better. I'm sure you can guess what happens next. Yep, this morning I go to put the top up since it looks like rain once again, and of course don't realize the strap is still disconnected. DING, there's the infamous cowl dent. UGH. :rant: Luckily I still had the door sensor wire attached (which ripped clean off) and that seems to have slowed it down a bit, not enough for it to not leave about a dime sized dent though.

So next time you want to take the doors off, take your time and make sure your lube those hinges. And double check your door straps!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts