Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here have a manual 6 speed & for those who do - does anyone ever skip 1st & start off in 2nd?

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a 6MT. And no, I don't.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have a 6 spd and no I don't.....because I have 3:07 gears.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
I have 99 problems but starting in first gear ain't one of them!! I envy you guys with the 6 speed and low gears, I have the 5 speed 4cyl and 4.11 gears running 35s. Hopefully I will be able to regear soon.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the 6 speed and find no need to skip first. the Jeep has no issues moving from 2nd but I dont see the point unless Im on a sheet of ice or something.

·
Registered
58 Posts
2005 Rubicon and I skip 2nd constantly unless starting on a hill.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have the 6spd, 3.73, and 31s. I can start from 2nd but i dont see the need. I do feel like the gearing is too short for 31s with the really low 1st gear, which may be why some people feel the need to start from 2nd.

·
Registered
47 Posts
6 speed with 4.10s (or 4.11s, I don't remember). If the Jeep is moving at all I start in second. From a dead stop I use first. Feels like a big rig crossing a large intersection and almost being in 4th by the time you get across lol

·
Registered
179 Posts
05 4cyl 6 speed with 3.73 gears on 31's. I start in second whenever I'm facing down hill or if I'm rolling.

·
Registered
56 Posts
'05 Rubi (4.11 gears), only use 1st if I'm heading up hill or stop and go traffic (only happens when dropping the kid at school). I came to that conclusion after about 3 days of driving it. I'm about 5 mos in, now.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Never, thanks to my 3.07 gears and 32s that granny first is a Godsend. Cant imagine having to deal with a higher first gear with my final drive ratio.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an 06' Rubicon and I only use 1st when the transmission is cold or stop/go/uphill. Mine shifts like a tractor from 1st to 2nd so I try to avoid it when possible. I find 1st is too low and Reverse is a bit too high.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have an 05 4.0 6 speed on 31s with 3.73s. I'm sure most of us have that contemplation at a stop light whether to start in first or second haha.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts