Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to post this via my phone but don't see it. Sorry if a repeat.

Anyway, I have a 2006 TJ - Manual 6 speed and a friend of mine said 1st was for if towing something or starting up a hill - that for normal on road no load start off it's better to start off in 2nd gear.

I've never heard of that so that's why I'm posting / asking youse guys.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Some people choose to start in second gear because they think it is easier on the transmission. In reality, they are just being lazy. Usually. Depending on what your axle gear ratio is you might be able to start in 2nd and not have any wear and tear problems. But for most situations 1st is the better option. Chrysler engineers put it there for a reason. Use it. Only time I don't use first is if I'm starting off going downhill.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you sure your informants weren't talking about an M151 and not a Jeep TJ? When I took my first driving test for an Army license in an M151 the inspector took off points for starting in 1st gear!

The User's Manual for my 2006 TJ warns to always start (from a dead stop) in 1st gear.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
a friend of mine said 1st was for if towing something or starting up a hill - that for normal on road no load start off it's better to start off in 2nd gear.
As others have told you, this is incorrect. Starting from a dead stop in 2nd gear will require a little more clutch slip than a first gear start--is your friend going to pony up the cash when you need a new clutch prematurely? If not, tell him to shut up. ;)

Since we're on the topic, here is some info I posted in this forum four years ago: gear ratios for all the manual transmissions used in TJs.

AX-5
3.93/2.33/1.45/1.00/0.85 with 4.74 reverse

AX-15
3.83/2.33/1.44/1.00/0.79 with 4.22 reverse

NV3550
4.04/2.33/1.38/1.00/0.78 with 3.75 reverse

NSG370
4.46/2.61/1.72/1.25/1.00/0.84 with 4.06 reverse

Yes, the 6-speed has a lower ratio in a gear-to-gear comparison with the 5-speed transmissions. However, the 370's second gear is still much taller than first gear in the other transmissions... which is why you shouldn't use it from a dead stop (in high range, anyway).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts