Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon JK 37" tires
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My jeep is misbehaving! I think the synchronizers are going out. It'll only go into 2nd if I rev it up before I shift.
Anyone have experience with this? Manual 6sp. The synchronizers are under warranty so that's good. I know it's not the clutch because the other gears shift no problem. Well... Little problem lol
I'll be taking it to the dealer later today but I like to be armed with knowledge before I go.

·
Registered
‘16 JKUR soft top manual. MORE engine skid. Evap Can Reloc (Dominion). Fox shocks. Otherwise stock
896 Posts
I haven’t had this issue. Has the transmission fluid been checked or changed?

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
My jeep is misbehaving! I think the synchronizers are going out. It'll only go into 2nd if I rev it up before I shift.
Anyone have experience with this? Manual 6sp. The synchronizers are under warranty so that's good. I know it's not the clutch because the other gears shift no problem. Well... Little problem lol
I'll be taking it to the dealer later today but I like to be armed with knowledge before I go.
Prepare for them to blame your oversized tires putting undo stress on the transmission.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prepare for them to blame your oversized tires putting undo stress on the transmission.
if they do it won't be pretty since I bought it like this FROM them. And I know it's been regeared

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
From

“Another area that creates early wear and failure is the synchronizer engagement teeth on the speed gears, which are very fine and not deep enough. We see continual failures on the Jeep line because of the back taper on the speed gear and synchronizer wearing out, creating gear-hop-out problems, particularly with first and reverse. The problem here is that although this unit works OK in a Crossfire or Mercedes with 26- to 28-inch tires, it is isn’t tough enough for Jeeps with 35-inch tires. The design is good for our industry, as it provides enough work for us, but has some shortcomings for durability.”

Don’t think what was sold on sued vehicle gets around warranty limitations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
NSG370 is garbage and not worth rebuilding. Your money is better spent upgrading to a TR4050 trans. They are not cheap but neither is rebuilding the NSG370 and the NSG370 will fail again.

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
I don't know what this means
Should have said used not sued but bottom line no matter where the oversized tires came from or who installed them their presence past or current will make any warranty claim problematic at best

And I agree that German six speed is a pos best used for a door stop or yard art

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think one of the biggest problems with the NSG370 is that people expect it to shift like a car transmission. If you drive it like the old truck transmissions slow and no slamming gears it is really not that bad. Granted it still is a pos. The problem is if you own a 3.6 you have some options to replace it. If you own a 3.8 there are basically no options. Cost me $2400 to get mine rebuilt in my 2010 JKU with a new clutch. The alternative was almost 3 times that much. One of the biggest problems was finding parts. Took 4 weeks for my shop to gather all the parts together from all over the country. .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think one of the biggest problems with the NSG370 is that people expect it to shift like a car transmission. If you drive it like the old truck transmissions slow and no slamming gears it is really not that bad. Granted it still is a pos. The problem is if you own a 3.6 you have some options to replace it. If you own a 3.8 there are basically no options. Cost me $2400 to get mine rebuilt in my 2010 JKU with a new clutch. The alternative was almost 3 times that much. One of the biggest problems was finding parts. Took 4 weeks for my shop to gather all the parts together from all over the country. .
I'm ok with waiting. sucks it's summer and I need it ready by August... but other than that...I'm ok
I do drive it like an old truck because it feels like an old truck lol

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Parts for that transmission are becoming unobtainable and parts prices are already very very inflated on the few that are eventually obtainable

Good news at lest for the 05-06 TJ they finally made a bell housing for the 05-06 crank position sensor sensor so you could get a brand new improved ax-15 5spd for about 2k and put that German pos out in the yard

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Tremec TR-4050 is where I go if my MT6 has an issue.

Reactions: vanhalo

·
Premium Member
1,856 Posts
Tremec TR-4050 is where I go if my MT6 has an issue.
In case one day I have to find this....

·
Registered
39 Posts
You might wanna rethink the clutch. Mine was doing same exact thing couple years ago. I thought was synchronizers cause most of problem was 2nd but kept getting worse. I put whole new system, flywheel, plate, luk clutch, and all new Timken bearings and know she shifts like a new one

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You might wanna rethink the clutch. Mine was doing same exact thing couple years ago. I thought was synchronizers cause most of problem was 2nd but kept getting worse. I put whole new system, flywheel, plate, luk clutch, and all new Timken bearings and know she shifts like a new one
nnoooooooo! say it ain't so! the synchros are under warranty, the clutch is not. Even though I haven't even had the jeep a year.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In case one day I have to find this....

it's saying that transmission is a 5speed. Mine is a 6speed. how would that work? I'd rather not change the transmission out right now anyway... money and all. maybe later in the year but I just need a working transmission to get through the summer

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Doubt suncro/tranny warranty applies with oversized tires even though they sold it to you with oversized tires

it does. I confirmed that when I dropped it off. and if they change their minds... I will lose my everloving Sheetttt. I might be a girl but I will flip lol

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
A good 5 spd beats a bad 6 spd every time

On TJ 4.0 straight six they used one five speed 97-1999 another 5 speed 2000-2004 then switched to your crappy German six for 05-06

Lots of guys swapped six to five and both 5 speeds had more overdrive than the six speed

1 - 20 of 23 Posts