Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I'm a 21 year old college student, and chose my first car to be a 2015 Sport JKU. It has the 5-speed auto, but I really wanted the 6 speed manual just for the more interactive and fun driving experience. (and more off-road control) :) I was wondering if there were easy options to convert to a 6-speed manual transmission, or if there were any kits that had all the necessary parts? What would I need and about what would the cost be? Let me know what y'all think!

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Trade it.
The juice won't be worth the squeeze...

Or just drive the auto. There are other mods to entertain you that will enhance your experience more.

Welcome to the forum, btw

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Isn't the transmission one of the first things (if not the first) people consider when buying?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Difficult to justify the expense. And you will likely take a hit on resale since it's a hacked up, converted Jeep. I"d never consider something that someone did on their own.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Agreed, trade it!
The parts, not a problem:
BUT With today's wiring harnesses, BCMs, and various ECUs and their tunes, it wouldn't be an easy or fun job.
There's a reason most dealership parts counter guys will dig their heels in, and not start the lookup process until they get a VIN, it's not to track your vehicle or its repairs (although I wouldn't doubt it is too) it is mainly because each vehicle has such specific builds, vehicles are no longer generic like they once were.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sell it. Buy a stick. Also an auto gives you more control off road - not sure why so many think the opposite.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
It might be easier to ask us, how to convert your JKU into a JK. :eek:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sell it. If you're emotionally attached to this particular jeep and also to the idea of making it a manual, you're best bet would be to buy a wreck and swap over parts, still very expensive.

·
Registered
936 Posts
as others have said switching auto -> stock manual doesn't make sense anymore...
so here is what you do:

• A) admit your mistake
  • B) man up and live with the consequences of your actions...
  • C) trade in for a proper 2dr manual JK... after suitably punishing yourself
  • D) Promise to never do that again...
or, don't do a stock swap... go wild... some super ultra fancy $$$$ aftermarket setup...
or go vintage and do a T90 from the 40's or 50's... maybe swap the V6 for a go-devil or hurricane (depending on what era you are going for...)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a Dodge Cummins before my jeep and it was an auto and I swapped a manual in. If you don't have a clue what you're doing then you'd be so high in cost in labor that it wouldn't be worth it. Ecm would need reprogrammed, different pedals, holes cut, different center console, wire tapping for reverse lights, adapter plate from engine to transmisson, etc.

·
Registered
393 Posts
There are certain mods that I'm always explaining is a bad idea. This is one of them.
Since JK's with manual transmissions are readily available, the best bet (as others have already stated) is to just trade for one.
It might be easier altogether is just to give up on the mental image of shifting your own gears. Use the manumatic mode if it means that much to you.

There isn't a common kit for trans swaps for the JK's. It's probably easier to swap the engine for a V8.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
There are certain mods that I'm always explaining is a bad idea. This is one of them.
Since JK's with manual transmissions are readily available, the best bet (as others have already stated) is to just trade for one.
It might be easier altogether is just to give up on the mental image of shifting your own gears. Use the manumatic mode if it means that much to you.

There isn't a common kit for trans swaps for the JK's. It's probably easier to swap the engine for a V8.
Reminds me of a SNL commercial.

https://video.yahoo.com/bad-idea-jeans-000000942.html

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm a 21 year old college student, and chose my first car to be a 2015 Sport JKU. It has the 5-speed auto, but I really wanted the 6 speed manual just for the more interactive and fun driving experience. (and more off-road control) :) I was wondering if there were easy options to convert to a 6-speed manual transmission, or if there were any kits that had all the necessary parts? What would I need and about what would the cost be? Let me know what y'all think!
It might be costly and a headache, but years ago, there was a parts list on the AEV forum, all OEM parts, to convert back and forth between auto and manual. I know they have done it a few times with some of their projects.

Sell and re-buy might be a better option...

I am with you... Manuals are the way to go! Have fun.

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
In theory, if you could find an exactly similar 6M '15 Wrangler to yours, owned by somebody who needs/wants an automatic, you ought to be able to swap him even up. He's getting the better deal, since the auto cost an additional $1345 MSRP iirc. But the odds of that are about nil. When I ordered my manual JK Willys in 2014 I just wanted to find any 2-door manual, new or used, on a dealer's lot to test drive before ordering, in case the clutch or transmission was awful or something (they are, but they're still better than being stuck with an auto...)

Anyway, with 8 dealers in metro Atlanta I found ONE (1) 6-speed JK, and it was a used 2012.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts